PDA

View Full Version : What size/type of generator?

lesleybird
10/15/2007, 03:55 PM
Hi,
I have a 190 gallon tank with fish and live rock and no corals. I wish to purchase a generator in case the power goes out for a few days but do not know what size or type. It would need to run 1 of my 2 mag nine pumps and either 500 watts heaters, or maybe even a 1/4 horse power chiller if the power went out in the summer. I would not run the lights, skimmer, UV, or second mag nine if the power went out. Anyone have any suggestions as to how powerful of a unit I would need? Should I get gas or propane? Do they all have to be placed outside meaning I would have to have it outside the window near the tank? Any help or suggestions as to which one to buy, what to avoid? Who has the best prices?
Thanks, Lesley in Houston

mg426
10/15/2007, 04:35 PM
I use a 5500 coleman for my tank/home. It runs my 125 lights and all,fridge freezer and sump pump with no problem.

Canarygirl
11/29/2007, 07:06 PM
Mg,

what model of Coleman do you have? Did you get it at Home Depot? Does it have a Honda or Yamaha engine? And, is it very loud? Like, do you want to run away quickly after you turn it on?

I am shopping for one myself...

AZDesertRat
11/29/2007, 07:11 PM
The number one choice on RV.net for occasional camping and RVing is the Champion 3500 watt. I bought one and love it. Its very quiet compared to most units, only slightly louder than a Honda Eu at 4 times the price. Its $299 or less all the time at Checker/Schucks/Kragen Auto. Cabellas also sells it but for more $$. I is powered by a Honda 6.5HP licensed EX series clone engine that you can buy replacements for from Honda as it is an exact legal clone. The muffler is a monster, bigger than the Magnaflow on my Ford pickup!

I got mine at Checker, they honored an ad match with Pep Boys, beat it by 5% and gave me a calendar coupon too so it was only $238 ! Check it out in the tech forums at RV.net .

kevin95695
11/29/2007, 10:25 PM
Great investment. Saved our tank twice. Just make sure that whatever you get is rated for the wattage of all the things you listed (add up the watts of all'em'all).

rufio173
11/29/2007, 10:36 PM
Champion 3500 Watt... filed away into the brain bank! :)