PDA

View Full Version : Equip Suggestions for 180 gal Tank Build

Underwood
10/15/2007, 01:39 PM
All:
I am starting a 180 gal FOWLR tank (I will be transferring over a Huma Trigger and live rock from my existing 90 gal FOWLR) and was hoping the knowledge base here for some suggestions. I’ve read through a bunch of the “new tank” threads on the board to get ideas, but it seems like most of the FOWLR tanks use fairly basic equipment (sump, protein skimmer, and power compact lighting, etc) compared to what you see on the larger sized reef tanks. On top of that, it seems like the every month something new comes out that wipes out what was considered good the month before.

My goal with the tank is to set it up in a way that I could switch it over to a reef tank in the future, without having to re-do all of my equipment (I plan to keep some corals in the tank prior to going all reef). That being said, from a budget standpoint I need to stay somewhat in the middle of the road for now, so I am trying to maximize my bang for a buck. I would also like to stay as energy efficient as possible.

New Tank Info:
Tank: 180 gal – 48” long x 36” wide x 24” high glass tank. The tank is Euro-braced with a back overflow on one of the 36” wide sides, so it is intended to be a room divider.

Stand: Dimensions – 34” tall steel stand - the stand has a few places where the existing paint has come off. So I plan to repaint the stand, then skin around it with wood to make it look more “built in.”

Sump: 55 gal – 48” long x 12” wide x 18” high glass tank that I will be turning into a sump.

Questions:

Lighting: (I really like the look that Metal Halides give off, but I’m not completely opposed to going all T-5.)

1. Would 2 175w’s provide enough light penetration for a tank that wide (and still produce the shimmer effect), or would I be able to go with 2 250w’s without running into heat issues?
2. If I went all T-5, how many bulbs would you suggest I run? Should I run the bulbs length wise or width wise?

Protein Skimmer: (I’d like one that I can set and forget and is also, somewhat, energy efficient.)

1. Sub $500 suggestions?
2. Suggestions that would fit in sump with my height / width constraints? (Sump is 12” wide, would have roughly 32” of height clearance - max.)
3. Keep in sump or plumb outside?

Return Pump: (I’ve been debating between getting a Sequence ReefFlow Snapper (2500 gph, 98 watts) and dialing it down or an Eheim 1262 (898 gph).)

1. Any other suggestions?
2. Pro’s / Con’s of either?

Powerheads: (I really like the Hydor Koralia’s and Tunze Nano Streams.)

1. My tank is made of ¾” glass, does anyone have any experience using either of these powerheads on a tank that thick? Any suggestions?

I appreciate everyone's input. Please feel free to chime in with any other suggestions that you may have.

Thanks

Underwood
10/15/2007, 05:42 PM
bump