PDA

View Full Version : Outer Orbit MH +T5

reeftank21
10/15/2007, 09:00 AM
What are the disadvantages of these fixtures. I"m considering a 72" with the 250watt MH. One major disadvantage is that they have magnetic ballasts but is that a major problem??

I'm looking for an inexpensive fixture and these are on sale at fosters and smith for just over $1100. I've looked at the oddyssea light from aquatraders but feel that after you change the ballasts and lights you have about what you do in the outer orbit assuming the ballasts are ok in the orbit.

Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks

sherm71tank
10/15/2007, 10:30 AM
I don't see magnetic ballasts as a problem. Magnetic ballasts are suppose to drive the bulbs better (brighter) than electronic ballasts. They are bigger, run hotter and may hum but for light output they are usually better.

I have one of the Aquatraders MH lights over my 90 and it's been a great light. I just bought a PFO magnetic ballast I should have in the next few weeks to see if there is a big difference in light output. The Aquatrader and other lights look VERY similar.

GSMguy
10/15/2007, 10:39 AM
i would not use anything but magnetic ballasts for DE bulbs

electronic ballasts do not run hqi bulbs to spec

the aquatraders light has poor ballasts that need replacing and only have pc suppliments which are worthless. 4 t5 w reflectors is way better than PC.

for me the choice would be be clear

sherm71tank
10/15/2007, 10:44 AM
Worthless? Sure they aren't VHO actinic but worthless? I don't know about that.

GSMguy
10/15/2007, 10:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10974905#post10974905 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sherm71tank
Worthless? Sure they aren't VHO actinic but worthless? I don't know about that.

with PC the par is very low the color is totally washed out by halides
they dont help to color up corals..

compared to MH and T5 they are extremely inefficient

pc is a technology that is going nowhere in this hobby it is something that we should move past from.

the t5s in the current fixture will allow you to reduce the MH photoperiod saving electricity and giving a longer bulb life.

the 4 bulb combo will allow you to fine tune colors in the tank..and the t5s greatly benifit the corals thru their added par and spectrums that are hard to get using MH only

also t5s are cheaper than PC bulbs normally. and hold output longer

in europe they are replacing PC and VHO with T5 BY law not just in the hobby but in public places, malls, airports and office buildings

reeftank21
10/15/2007, 12:28 PM
I already have a smaller aquatraders light and it is fine no problems in 2 years. the cost of upgrading the 250 watt fixture is about the same as a new outer orbit. Choice would be orbit.

Now,
What about outer orbit and aqua medic? aqua medic does not have the moonlights but really is that a big deal anyway? Give a choice I would rather have them but if their fixture is that much better than the outer orbit I can do withour them.

GSMguy
10/15/2007, 12:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10975636#post10975636 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reeftank21
I already have a smaller aquatraders light and it is fine no problems in 2 years. the cost of upgrading the 250 watt fixture is about the same as a new outer orbit. Choice would be orbit.

Now,
What about outer orbit and aqua medic? aqua medic does not have the moonlights but really is that a big deal anyway? Give a choice I would rather have them but if their fixture is that much better than the outer orbit I can do withour them.

the aquamedic is not as good as the current, the mh reflectors in the current are better and the t5 reflectors are better in the current. and twice the t5s in the current i think.

i would also choose the current over the sunlight supply maristar the only steps up from the outer orbit would be the much more expensive Growtech, stigfolli, geismann,

if you are interested in a realy great all t5 fixture the ATI powermodule is very nice.

jim70
10/17/2007, 07:00 AM
the ballasts are very big, but have a fan built in to them to keep them cool, but they are really big so hope you have room for them. also they can't stand must lie flat

GSMguy
10/17/2007, 08:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10989465#post10989465 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jim70
the ballasts are very big, but have a fan built in to them to keep them cool, but they are really big so hope you have room for them. also they can't stand must lie flat

they are no bigger than any other magnetic ballasts pretty standard really