PDA

View Full Version : Korallen Zucht Revolution Skimmer

gabe3d
10/15/2007, 01:16 AM
Just wondering how many RC members actually use this skimmer? I just got my Revolution M end of lastweek and it's a phenomenal skimmer.

Paulairduck
10/15/2007, 01:21 AM
I have the S and I feel the same, this skimmer is the best I have ever owned and I have had about fifteen skimmers, save the best for last.:bum:

gabe3d
10/15/2007, 01:32 AM
Here are some pics.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/gabe3d/Aquarium/210/071014_skimmer1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/gabe3d/Aquarium/210/071014_skimmer2.jpg

hahnmeister
10/15/2007, 02:38 AM
What kind of air intake are you guys getting?

mavgi
10/15/2007, 08:14 AM
IMO this toy not pull more then 25LPM -30LPM or around those #
as i see they add elbow to the exit as i suggest to someone in Zoevit to adjust the water level in the skimmer body .
if i was T.P i was check other pump to match to that skimmer insted of the aqua bees .
bottom line it's skim ok but personal i am not impressive from the foam.

anyway this is my opinion and i don't have nothing against those KZ skimmer but i think they need more improvement.

enjoy from your new skimmer .

gabe3d
10/15/2007, 08:27 AM
Hahmeister,

I have no clue as to how much air it pulls.

Mavgi,

The elbow I put on there is not to adjust the water level in the skimmer. I just put it there to direct the output to the top as oppose to horizontal. The elbow is much larger then the fitting on the skimmer so with it or without it, the water level in the skimmer is identical. Do you also have one?

gabe3d
10/15/2007, 08:34 AM
BTW hahmeister, how much does a dwyer cost and where can I get one? If it is not too expensive I can perhaps get one.

mavgi
10/15/2007, 09:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10974185#post10974185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gabe3d
BTW hahmeister, how much does a dwyer cost and where can I get one? If it is not too expensive I can perhaps get one.

you can get it here (you need to match fitting)

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/flow/SeriesRMPrice.cfm

i suggest to go with the RMB-53d-ssv.

NO i don't have one , but i am going to make one for fun :D

Mr' T.P have patent on that and this is block other company to make it (unless ATB) long time ago i saw a con skimmer that was made by ATI and since then i can't try other one .
the reason is that i am sure it was the best con skimmer and better then the KZ or the ATB (i saw how it perform) so it's hard to get other one when you know that there was something better.... i thoght to try the same skimmer you have but i don't like the pump so i decide to work on one and make the size i want to do .

anyway if you love it i am glad for you and enjoy it :)

gabe3d
10/15/2007, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10974338#post10974338 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mavgi
you can get it here (you need to match fitting)

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/flow/SeriesRMPrice.cfm

i suggest to go with the RMB-53d-ssv.

NO i don't have one , but i am going to make one for fun :D

Mr' T.P have patent on that and this is block other company to make it (unless ATB) long time ago i saw a con skimmer that was made by ATI and since then i can't try other one .
the reason is that i am sure it was the best con skimmer and better then the KZ or the ATB (i saw how it perform) so it's hard to get other one when you know that there was something better.... i thoght to try the same skimmer you have but i don't like the pump so i decide to work on one and make the size i want to do .

anyway if you love it i am glad for you and enjoy it :)

Thanks for the link.

They are pretty inexpensive might as well get one for fun. What kind of fitting do you need to get? The tip of the air intake for the skimmer can actually fit a 1/4'' air hose, what kind of connector is on the Dwyer air meter?

Let us know how your DIY conical skimmer turns out, what pump are you going to use and how are you planning to induce bubbles?

The Aquabee 5000 is actually not too bad, with it connected to my skimmer it utilizes 54watts with a power factor of .95. It is also extremely quiet. I've stopped and started it a few dozen times and I have yet to experience the restart issues people have been getting with this pump. The only thing I notice is that perhaps the body of the skimmer is a little too small for the amount of air and water the pump puts into the skimmer.

Don't quite love it yet, i'll have to wait for a few months to see how i really like it. :) but so far no complaints other than the air intake being a little loud.

ATB USA
10/15/2007, 12:18 PM
Mavgi

Atb is already here in the us. I'm testing as we speak. If you pm your email i can send videos and pics.

gabe3d
10/15/2007, 02:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10975567#post10975567 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by victor90
Mavgi

Atb is already here in the us. I'm testing as we speak. If you pm your email i can send videos and pics.

Can I also get the videos and pics, I'm curious to see how it well it works. I was asking a relative over in France to get one for me last month but the logistics were just too complicated so I got the Revolution since you can order direct from them.

Paulairduck
10/15/2007, 03:24 PM
My S pulls 400 lpm on my dwyer, I know that is not a whole lot, but for this skimmer it works. I had BM 200 that pulled four times the amount of air and never even touched the skimming capability of the KZ. I love the beckett and the cone combo, it my not be right for everyone but it is a dream for me. The only downfall, is KZ is way over priced and the pump restart issue and you must use some type of bubble trap, beacuse this skimmer produces a lot of bubble's through the outake.

Here is a the skimmer in action after three days of work, no additives, only a calcium reactor with arm and KZ MAG media. you can make your own conclusion. I just know on my new 400 gallon system I will be running the M model..:eek2: :bum: :eek1:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/108559Aquafrags1_041.jpg

hahnmeister
10/15/2007, 03:28 PM
I gotta say, they are a bit liberal with the size ratings. The S model... I wouldnt run that on anything larger than a 120g. And not to knock your pic either, but its kind of like the old 'put a remora in a 500g cesspool and see if it doesnt overflow either'.

GSMguy
10/15/2007, 03:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10976923#post10976923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hahnmeister
I gotta say, they are a bit liberal with the size ratings. The S model... I wouldnt run that on anything larger than a 120g. And not to knock your pic either, but its kind of like the old 'put a remora in a 500g cesspool and see if it doesnt overflow either'.

my deltec HOB has been skimming really wet since i cleaned it and it had foam shooting out of it the same way from 24 hours skimming this morning,

really it means nothing other than it can fill its collection cup.

gabe3d
10/15/2007, 03:50 PM
On the subject of skimmer/tank pairing it seems that an undersized skimmer is perhaps better than an oversized skimmer. Seems like more people run into problems with skimmer being too large for their tanks rather than the other way around. I've read a few people run into the problem where there aren't enough nutrients in their tank to build enough foam head for it to reach the top, notably ATIs and BKs. Not implying that KZ doesn't have this problem, just a remark from what I've noticed on a few threads.

Fishbulb2
10/15/2007, 04:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10977096#post10977096 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gabe3d
On the subject of skimmer/tank pairing it seems that an undersized skimmer is perhaps better than an oversized skimmer. Seems like more people run into problems with skimmer being too large for their tanks rather than the other way around. I've read a few people run into the problem where there aren't enough nutrients in their tank to build enough foam head for it to reach the top, notably ATIs and BKs. Not implying that KZ doesn't have this problem, just a remark from what I've noticed on a few threads.

I agree with that. I have a EuroReef 100RS on a 40 gallon tank. I can never feed enough to get a good foam head. I typically recommend people not to jsut get the largest skimmer possible. I see that way too many times. Same goes with lighting, people want to put 500W over 50 gallon tanks. Sometimes, more is not always better.

USC-fan
10/15/2007, 04:32 PM
Sounds like user error.

I used my DAS ex-2 on my 30 gal tank with 2 fish. It pulls 1000LPM and if that isn't overkill i don't know what is. Never had a problem producing a foam head. It doesn't pull as much skimmate as my 90 just that is understandable.

gabe3d
10/15/2007, 05:23 PM
I really don't think it is always a matter of user error but rather having your skimmer performing at its optimal level.

I'm sure you can get a large skimmer to work on a small tank that was not meant for it to run on. It's just a matter of restricting the water coming out of the body enough for it to raise the bubbles high enough for it to fall in the collection cup. It'll be skimming but not as it was designed or as effective as it could be.

gabe3d
10/15/2007, 07:11 PM
Just took this an hour ago, which is around 17 hours apart from the picture above. So far I can't complain, other than the whistling air intake.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/gabe3d/Aquarium/210/071015_skimmer.jpg

mavgi
10/15/2007, 10:18 PM
gabe3d :

IMO you skim to wet and if you will adjust the skimmer water level and the bubble size you will get a better skimming result .

victor90 :

Glad to see you bring them here to the us , i know how the ATB skimmer work long time ago:lol:

i will send you pm .

gabe3d
10/15/2007, 11:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10979999#post10979999 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mavgi
gabe3d :

IMO you skim to wet and if you will adjust the skimmer water level and the bubble size you will get a better skimming result .

victor90 :

Glad to see you bring them here to the us , i know how the ATB skimmer work long time ago:lol:

i will send you pm .

The only reason i like to skim a little wet, though it is not extremely wet in my case (flash is on, liquid is opaque to the point you can't see through and there is no separation in the liquid) is for two reasons. I skim wetter thinking that since the bubbles require less surface tension to get collected it will collect waste easier and more rapidly. Secondly skimming a little wet prevents crusting of organic compounds at the top of the body and neck, which will allow me to run my skimmer longer efficiently and better.

mavgi
10/15/2007, 11:40 PM
i perfer to skim wet then dry to. the nice part in the Con shape that you can use more air intake and the bubble with the foam move without pressure continuously to the cup. i still think that with little adjusting the skimming result will be better .

Here it's a short video how i skim little wet unfortunately i can't keep it long time because i need a bigger cup .

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/th_PIC_0046.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/?action=view&current=PIC_0046.flv)

gabe3d
10/16/2007, 12:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10980569#post10980569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mavgi
i perfer to skim wet then dry to. the nice part in the Con shape that you can use more air intake and the bubble with the foam move without pressure continuously to the cup. i still think that with little adjusting the skimming result will be better .

Here it's a short video how i skim little wet unfortunately i can't keep it long time because i need a bigger cup .

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/th_PIC_0046.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/?action=view&current=PIC_0046.flv)
That's a nice thick foam head you have there, is that from one of your DIY skimmer? If so that is a really good job.

When you say better if I were to adjust the skimming do you mean by that? Darker and also more? Thanks.

mavgi
10/16/2007, 12:26 AM
i think the water level need to be lower .

i don't know where is the water level will be when you will take out the air valve , but if it was me i was play more with this toy .

i was taking out the air valve and try to fit the skimmer in the right water level in the sump (need to play with this and with a lot of patient ) when you find the right adjustment the foam in the cup will be all over and move nice and slow continuously to the cup . it will be darker skimming but still wet and you will see more detritus in the cup . the detritus that you see in the acrylic on the lid will be all over the skimmer , and it will look like that (i believe your cup bigger then mine so it will be more gentle )

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/PIC_0002.jpg

gabe3d
10/16/2007, 12:57 AM
Alright let me give that a try, I really can't lower the amount of water in the body since currently it is completely unrestricted. The elbow I have added is much larger then the skimmer fitting so it doesn't restrict the skimmer output at all. However there is one way I can lower the water level which is to remove the siphon feed mechanism I have in my sump that directs all of the overflow water into my skimmer.

My skimmer actually started to foam densely with chunks like your picture but the bubbles didn't burst in the collection cup so I changed the settings, perhaps I'll add some silicon grease where the bubbles overflow into the cup to force a break. Thanks for the tips. BTW, are you also German or some other European nationality?

mavgi
10/16/2007, 01:25 AM
you can put the skimmer on a small base it will reduce the water level in the skimmer body , an if you can move the direct flow from the pump inlet (it's bring air to the pump and cause the pump to work not stabile) the best thing for the pump to perform good it's to put the inlet far as you can from the drain area (opposite )

sorry for my bad language :lol: and i am from the Holy Land .

hahnmeister
10/16/2007, 02:28 AM
AS for skimmer sizing...

Getting a skimmer that is too large CAN result in the skimmer just ending up w/o enough to skim.

Getting a skimmer that is too small will easily result in the skimmer never taking enough out of the water... and you may end up with constantly high phosphates and nitrates. I suppose a solution would just be to handle this in some other way... like alot of water changes, dosing ethanol, purigen/phos-media, zeovit/prodobio/ultralith, etc.

Some might argue that a short & turbulent skimmer has a more difficult time as nutrient levels drop because their ability to harvest a wide range of surfactants is limited by the efficiency/dwell time of the bubble. Taller skimmers, or ones with turbulence reducing bubble plates (note: not all bubble plates actually reduce turbulence: ATI BM's for instance) seem to have this be true alot. They are able to skim, and skim darker even when set wet, than the others. I have never seen a tall skimmer 'run out' of skimmate to produce... lets put it that way.

gabe3d
10/16/2007, 08:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10980999#post10980999 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mavgi
you can put the skimmer on a small base it will reduce the water level in the skimmer body , an if you can move the direct flow from the pump inlet (it's bring air to the pump and cause the pump to work not stabile) the best thing for the pump to perform good it's to put the inlet far as you can from the drain area (opposite )

sorry for my bad language :lol: and i am from the Holy Land .

I was thinking of that as well but it wouldn't matter much since I'm some what force feeding my pump with the overflow water. So this alone will already create more pressure than a few inches of water above the pump water intake. This also somewhat works to my advantage since it reduces the amount of microbubbles exiting the skimmer. Since it is a siphoning effect there is no air going through it, so the pressure coming out of the end of the siphon is quite constant. There is also zero microbubble coming from my dursos since the drain is caught by a micron filter bag.

Can you explain why having the drain area opposite to the skimmer intake is bad? It logically makes more sense to me that you want to process a higher percentage of water from the display tank rather than water sitting in the sump or water that just exited the skimmer.

No problem on the language I understand everything you say, I was just curious :). Maybe I thought you worked for an aquatic European vendor.

gabe3d
10/16/2007, 08:22 AM
Hahnmeister,

Thanks for the info.

I remember reading on another thread that you had an intention to build your own conical skimmer. How is that coming along? Or are you just waiting for the ATB skimmer for testing since it is more or less the same as you had in mind?

hahnmeister
10/16/2007, 04:56 PM
I had intended to build my own cone skimmer because I wanted to see what this 'cone thing' was all about, and KZ' cost an arm&lag in comparison at the time. I had been interested in the ATB design for a long while though, and since they gave me a deal I couldnt refuse on a 'Small' model, I have put my DIY cone on hold.

Although, it has changed in scope as well. I was going to build a KS 'Small' clone, beckett and all, and then a larger skimmer as well (since to get the cones made, proportionally, a cone 3x the size only cost a couple hundred more). So I still intend to make a 60" tall (45" cone), 18-22" base, 8" neck cone skimmer with a bubble sphere and Laguna Meshwheel/3600-5000lph pumps... just not right now. I have other projects to finish up. The 'mega' isnt a 'need' either... its just for fun. The smaller version fills a need.

I can see though that there is something to this whole 'cone shape' design though. My ATB is just chucking right now.

gabe3d
10/16/2007, 05:22 PM
Definitely the cone shape seems to be something different, from what it looks like it appears to concentrate the foam head to make it gradually denser. I believe this is probably why it skims faster and more efficiently. Curious to see how different one will perform with a meshwheel, but for now I'm quite satisfied with this skimmer.

hahnmeister
10/16/2007, 05:43 PM
I think its a form of turbulence reduction, from the bubbles POV, as well as the water. The water cant spin around as much... the narrowing neck restricts tangential and cross flow in the body as you get closer to the top. The bubbles wise without hitting a flat part, as even a 30 degree slope (from vertical) is still an impact force 1/2 that of a flat plate. Then, as the bubbles rise into the neck, the cone makes a smooth transition. With a flat plate, or something 'usual', the bubbles tend to flow up, then get stuck under a plate, and then accelerate towards the neck with not only an upward flow, but a horizontal flow. This turbulence puts additional turbulence right below the neck, at its entrance. With the cone, this doesnt exist.

The other advantage seems to be the ability to make a single-pass skimmer with almost no back-pressure on the pump. A cone has its midpoint at about 1/3 of the way up, and a cylinder has it 1/2 the way up. Combined with how the body begins to narrow much lower, the cone has an effective water level that is much lower than in a cylinder shape.

Its almost like making a skimmer like this...
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k278/wetworx101/TheStubbySkimmerpeg.jpg

Anyways, this puts very little back-pressure on the pump, so you can have a single-pass skimmer with as high an output as a recirc. I ran the eheim 1260 needlewheel for the ATB in a bucket, and found its throughput was the same as when on the skimmer. Kinda cool.

gabe3d
10/16/2007, 06:46 PM
Agreed with the bubbles rising to the collection cup and hitting more or less a horizontal wall, however there have been many other skimmers that incorporated this smooth transition to the collection cup. So I think what makes the biggest difference is the entire body being a cone shaped.

I'm not 100% how the ATBs are designed with the standpipes and how it affects the water level but for the KZ skimmer the water level in the skimmer is the same as the water in the sump which in turns creates no back pressure on the pump. The skimmer outlet is at the same level as the pump connection. I can cut off the air and the water will stay consistent in the body with the surrounding. Only draw back to this design is the microbubbles that will escape.

What's intriguing about the foam build up on this skimmer which I haven't seen on any other skimmers is the different levels of bubble size as you go up. It ranges from microbubbles all the way to large bubbles then a layer of froth on the top. There is a lot of turbulence in the portion below the water level which I think is actually a good thing, since you won't have that problem of foam being pulled down back to the body like a lot of meshwheel/needlewheel cylindrical skimmer have. The effective build up of foam level is actually a lot higher on this skimmer so anything that is pulled back down is insignificant, probably another advantage of the cone shape.

brad23
10/16/2007, 07:11 PM
Who's selling these?

gabe3d
10/17/2007, 01:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10986338#post10986338 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brad23
Who's selling these?

I got mine direct from KZ in Germany, shipping took exactly two weeks. Or you can order it locally I think from Aquarium Specialty or Zeovit, however i'm not sure if they have them in stock.

marxxx
10/17/2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the info! I am having this exact problem! I have a MTC HSA1000 that I cant dial in on my 180! Time to look for a smaller skimmer!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10977096#post10977096 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gabe3d

mavgi
10/18/2007, 10:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10981794#post10981794 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gabe3d
I was thinking of that as well but it wouldn't matter much since I'm some what force feeding my pump with the overflow water. So this alone will already create more pressure than a few inches of water above the pump water intake. This also somewhat works to my advantage since it reduces the amount of microbubbles exiting the skimmer. Since it is a siphoning effect there is no air going through it, so the pressure coming out of the end of the siphon is quite constant. There is also zero microbubble coming from my dursos since the drain is caught by a micron filter bag.

Can you explain why having the drain area opposite to the skimmer intake is bad? It logically makes more sense to me that you want to process a higher percentage of water from the display tank rather than water sitting in the sump or water that just exited the skimmer.

No problem on the language I understand everything you say, I was just curious :). Maybe I thought you worked for an aquatic European vendor.

if you use filter sock it will reduce problem but , when the drain area direct to the skimmer pump the pump will lose performance the reason it's that even if you don't see it the water that come from the drain also have air and the flow not stabile this cuase the pump to work like a pulse . now if you want to see a better result try this , take the air valve complete out (leave the air pipe free) chang the pump to the other side when the water more calm adjust the water level in the skimmer lower (you can pick up the skimmer , or if the air valve out the water level go down about 2" under the flang ) and let this toy to break in again.... after that see the different. the way you skim now you move a lot of more water then it's should be.

anyway i hope it's ok i just sure that this toy can perform a lot better then it's look like and i you have sometime to play with you will see that.

best regards

gabe3d
10/19/2007, 10:33 AM
I turned down the air a little and as a result got a little thicker and much smellier skimmate. Here is a little less than a day. There is also some more skimmate in the receptacle, but this is just to get a feel as the type of skimmate. I'm surprised that even though it is set to skim darker the neck of the skimmer doesn't get dirty as i would have expected it to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/gabe3d/Aquarium/210/071018_skimmer.jpg

gabe3d
10/19/2007, 10:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11003877#post11003877 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mavgi
if you use filter sock it will reduce problem but , when the drain area direct to the skimmer pump the pump will lose performance the reason it's that even if you don't see it the water that come from the drain also have air and the flow not stabile this cuase the pump to work like a pulse . now if you want to see a better result try this , take the air valve complete out (leave the air pipe free) chang the pump to the other side when the water more calm adjust the water level in the skimmer lower (you can pick up the skimmer , or if the air valve out the water level go down about 2" under the flang ) and let this toy to break in again.... after that see the different. the way you skim now you move a lot of more water then it's should be.

anyway i hope it's ok i just sure that this toy can perform a lot better then it's look like and i you have sometime to play with you will see that.

best regards

Let me try that this weekend to see if i get better results. Thanks for the tip. What do you mean by:

"you can pick up the skimmer , or if the air valve out the water level go down about 2" under the flang"

mavgi
10/21/2007, 09:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11006487#post11006487 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gabe3d
Let me try that this weekend to see if i get better results. Thanks for the tip. What do you mean by:

"you can pick up the skimmer , or if the air valve out the water level go down about 2" under the flang"

as i see from the picture now it's better performance ....

and i don't think you need to raise(pick up) the skimmer , if you take the air valve maybe you will need to raise the water level in the sump .

try to take out the air valve (let the pump run on full open air it also will reduce the watt use) if the water level in the skimmer to low raise the water in the sump and check the difference.... as it look now in the picture the skimmer skim well and not just pull out water but i believe you still have option to get better performance:) play with it till you find the right adjustment and the best result you can get from it.

regards

gabe3d
10/21/2007, 09:43 PM
Since I posted this over at the Z forum, I might as well put it here as well. I'm hoping to hear from KZ soon.

After quite some time playing/adjusting with the skimmer, there seems to be a big design flaw in this skimmer, at least with the M, which I believe is the reason why some people are having these restart issues and also low performance.

I ran into this problem after monitoring the skimmer after I cleaned it this week. I've had the Aquabee 5000 plugged into a Kill-A-Watt ever since I've received the skimmer and notice that after the cleaning the PF and wattage were different from right before the cleaning. I thought it was strange but didn't really thought too much about it. An hour after the cleaning the bubbles have yet to reach anywhere close to the top of the body. I then took the injector housing and pump apart to find that nothing was wedged or stuck that might impede the performance. Long story short, I ended up turning on the pump before connecting it then slowly sliding it into the injector housing to monitor the power usage and water/bubble level in the skimmer (air was fully on and disconnected from the flexible air hose).

Conclusion of my troubleshooting is that the Beckett is sending back pressure into the pump's volute that is disrupting the performance as the pump is closer to the injector, basically cavitating the pump. This is very apparent when the pump is completely slid into the housing, when it is not completely slid in (~1/3'' of tube remaining) the performance is at a point where it can be adjusted to skim. Having it barely connected creates an outrageous amount of air in the skimmer, which makes it impossible to adjust. Knowing this was the case I made a temporary spacer to go in between the pump and injector housing so that I can know how much to slide it in.

mavgi
10/21/2007, 10:23 PM
gabe3d

what is the size of the pump inlet (the hole ) ?

Paulairduck
10/22/2007, 12:19 AM
The restart issue is one I am having with the S model, you have to disconnect the pump and run it in the sump and then connect it to the body of the skimmer. Not a big deal, but it is annoying, I did not know this was happening on the M model.

chadfarmer
12/19/2007, 01:19 AM
I have a s model also
(I have the restarting issue everyonce in a while)

the dirtier it gets the better it skims)
this skimmer rocks

corals have never looked this good

skimmers before this one
euro-reef 5-2 8-1
deltec ap600
bubbleking 160
h&s 110-F2000

I have tried a few

gabe3d
12/19/2007, 01:48 AM
The performance is undoubtedly very good after some changes , but for the price i wished it was a better out of the box and better built product.

hahnmeister
12/19/2007, 10:35 AM
I heard some people were putting eheim 1260/62's on the S and eliminating the problems.

slovan
12/19/2007, 12:18 PM
I run a modified Beckett on mine and the restart issue has gone away. The KZ skimmers aren't for everyone but it works VERY well for my tank.

I too, have had quite a few skimmers in the various tanks I have kept over the years.

ASM G1X
ASM G3
Deltec AP851
Deltec AP902
GEO NW828
TurboFlotor 1000
TurboFlotor 5000 Shorty
Tunze 9010
Tunze 9210

gabe3d
12/19/2007, 12:36 PM
I'm actually running a 1262 on my M skimmer now. Mainly because of the vibration of the Aquabee5000.

Paulairduck
12/19/2007, 01:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11416183#post11416183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chadfarmer
I have a s model also
(I have the restarting issue everyonce in a while)

the dirtier it gets the better it skims)
this skimmer rocks

corals have never looked this good

skimmers before this one
euro-reef 5-2 8-1
deltec ap600
bubbleking 160
h&s 110-F2000

I have tried a few

I have to also say this is the best skimmer I have ever owned, but there has got to be a simple fix to this cituation. Eric @ fragfarmer say's it goes away with time, we will see:confused:

Deltec Ap600
ASM G3
Asm G2
Asm g1x
Asm mini (worst)
Geo
MRC
Euro reef RS-5, RS 80, Cs 100,
Reef Devil

hahnmeister
12/19/2007, 02:21 PM
Why not extent the pipe connecting the pump to the skimmer with a large diameter pipe? This should provide some 'buffer'.

Either that, or use a modified beckett injector instead... I hear that cleared up the problem.

gabe3d
12/19/2007, 02:38 PM
Sounds weird that it will go away after a while. I know that if my Aquabee is fully inserted into the housing, until it snaps in, then it will not be able to start up correctly, however this issue is also a function of water height in the body. Having it further away, I can get it to start 100% of the time and the pump's performance is better.

chadfarmer
12/20/2007, 12:33 AM
mine starts u and is fine if not i put my hand over the intake and it fires up

i am getting a eheim 1260 so i wont have to deal with it