PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer HELP!!!!!!!!!

morishidle
10/14/2007, 07:42 PM
I have to make a choice soon and i dont know why but i like the MRC beckett skimmers but my local fish store says they are crap is this true has anyone used these and are they better or worse than a recirculating protein skimmer

luke33
10/14/2007, 08:10 PM
There s many options for a 150g tank. What budget are you looking at and how much room do you have.

Mr James
10/19/2007, 10:06 AM
by morishidle
I have to make a choice soon and i dont know why but i like the MRC beckett skimmers but my local fish store says they are crap is this true has anyone used these and are they better or worse than a recirculating protein skimmer

What does your LFS recommend, I'm dying to know?? Something they sell?? MRC also makes a recirculationg skimmer. Up until recently, I have only owned RC products for skimming and calcium intake. Hands down, beckett skimmers are some of the best out there. The downsides are big pumps and they use more electricity. That aside, they rock!!

I said "up until recently". I am going to try, with an open mind, a needlewheel skimmer. I bought an ATi BM200. If it doesn't serve me the way I expect, I am going back to an MRC!! I support that company 100%.

GSMguy
10/19/2007, 10:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11006278#post11006278 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr James
What does your LFS recommend, I'm dying to know?? Something they sell?? MRC also makes a recirculationg skimmer. Up until recently, I have only owned RC products for skimming and calcium intake. Hands down, beckett skimmers are some of the best out there. The downsides are big pumps and they use more electricity. That aside, they rock!!

I said "up until recently". I am going to try, with an open mind, a needlewheel skimmer. I bought an ATi BM200. If it doesn't serve me the way I expect, I am going back to an MRC!! I support that company 100%.

Could it be that the NW skimmer you chose might bethe wrong choice? just a thought.
The Fact that there are so many users with great results from their NW skimmers What does that mean?
im not dissing Beckett but you could be very well served by a variety of NW skimmers given the propper skimmer.

Mr James
10/19/2007, 10:52 AM
I had tried an ASM G3 once before, but didn't like. But I am anxious to see how well this skimmer does. I am still plumbing my system which changes every day. That aside, let's get back to the topic at hand, helping morishidle find a skimmer.

morishidle
10/19/2007, 11:01 AM
thanks to everyone that replied to the thread i am going with a beckett but not MRC because of his recent actions i think andrew diass is in a lot of trouble

Mr James
10/19/2007, 11:19 AM
The product is still good, regardless!! The only other decent beckett skimmer IME is GEO. What are you afraid of with the MRC brand?? The product hasn't changed.

GSMguy
10/19/2007, 11:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11006639#post11006639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by morishidle
thanks to everyone that replied to the thread i am going with a beckett but not MRC because of his recent actions i think andrew diass is in a lot of trouble

Before you Spend the money.. what is your budget? what size tank?

are you at all concerned about monthly electrical costs associated with beckett?

how will you feed the skimmer Wil the pump be in your sump? will heat from the pump be a concern?