PDA

View Full Version : overheating maxijet?

catdoc
10/14/2007, 07:36 PM
I've noticed my GFCI tripped a couple of times, wasn't sure why. This evening as I'm attempting my water change, the circuit trips within 3 to 5 seconds of the maxijet coming on (it's used for my RODI top-off or when I'm doing water changes for the new saltwater). I finally got aggravated and pulled the MJ1200 out, tried to get another pump to fill in (the outlets don't match my plumbing though). After 10 minutes of fiddling with the backup pump, I thought I'd clean the MJ1200. There's absolutely no calcium on it though, since it sits in RODI 99% of the time. When I touched it though, HOT HOT!!!

Why would it be so hot? The impeller is not locked up (but is as hot as blazes), no sand or grit stuck in there. If there's a short in the wire, would that make it hot?? I'm not about to stick my hand in the barrel to test that theory! The powerhead is only a year old, so no reason for it to break down that I know of.

Help??

wingmans10
10/14/2007, 07:55 PM
motorwindings inside the pump could have burnt up. ie. short. solution, toss it and get a new one.

catdoc
10/14/2007, 07:59 PM
What does that mean? It's actually pumping water before it kicks the gfci off, so the pump works until it gets hot (or whatever is flipping the circuit is making it hot).