PDA

View Full Version : Iwaki restart - not happening

miami13
10/14/2007, 06:51 PM
Hello - took my Iwaki apart today for a much needed cleaning and now I'm unable to get it restarted. It's getting hot to the touch, but just no pumping action.

I took it apart a second time to ensure everything was in place - there's not too much to them so I feel confident it's back together as needed.

Does anyone have any tricks, suggestions to get it kick started?

thanks in advance for any help...

Coralfreak
10/14/2007, 07:04 PM
Will the motor run with the wet/pump end completely removed?

If it does, something is still inside the volute or on the impeller preventing it from turning. It could also be "air locked", make sure the intake side is completely full of water. On the output, you may need to drain out your return line, it should work after that.

DarG
10/14/2007, 07:15 PM
This may seem condescending but it's not meant that way so please dont take it that way ...

I have valves on my piping to make pump removal easy. I have forgotten to open valves back up after replacing a pump after cleaning. Scratch my head for a minute and then ... duh.
So, while this is a long shot ... did you shut off a valve and forget to open it back up after replacing the pump?

Also, are you sure any impellar/shaft washers were replaced and in the right spots?

Coralfreak
10/14/2007, 08:02 PM
Ive been there, done that as well. Ive also forgot to tighten up unions before, thats real fun:)

miami13
10/14/2007, 08:25 PM
Hey, thanks much for the replies and believe me when it comes to the maintenence of this equipment - nothing will come across as condesending to me. I need all the help I can get. :)

The step by step trouble shooting did the trick - there's like a small rubber eraser end part that was stuck on the wrong end of the impeller shaft and it was preventing it from rotating when I placed the "cover" on.

I hooked her up and away she went - until I noticed a leak at my union. On my hands in knees on the grass with a flashlight I found the missing o ring.

All's well - I should've just stuck with watching my fins get spanked by the Browns and called it a day.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!