PDA

View Full Version : Question on building a base for a 175 Bow Front

mark13331
10/14/2007, 03:56 PM
I am finishing off my basement and the center piece of the basement is going to be a 175 bow front reef tank that is built into the wall. I am building it into the wall for two reasons 1) my furnace room is behind the wall and I can hide all my lighting, sump, plumbing, ect behind the wall and 2) I love the effect of a tank "popping" out of the wall using the bow part of the tank for this effect. So here is the question -- I am building my own base using 2x6's and it will be overbuilt to ensure the tank is fully supported, and I will be using 3/4 inch plywood as the base under the tank (plywood will hang out under the bow part of the tank and follow the curve of the bow). However, there will be no structural base built underneath the bow, except for the plywood. The tank will be flush with the wall at both front corners, but the bow will pretrude out of the wall 7 inches. Does anyone see a problem with the bow part of the tank (7 inch overhang at center of tank) not having a frame built underneath it? In effect the bow part of the tank is "suspended" and only being supported by the 3/4 inch plywood base. I think this should work and would imagine I'm not the first guy to do something like this, but DO NOT want to come home to a disaster!!

Anybody who has already done this, or anyone who has thoughts on this -- I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks!