PDA

View Full Version : frag tank lighting

drawman
10/14/2007, 03:05 PM
I am planning on buying a 48"x24"x12" frag tank from truvu. I was thinking of one 250 or 150 watt hqi. This tank will be separate from my display which is a 75 gallon with a 2 x 150 sunlight supply maristar fixture. The bulbs over my display are 10,000 deg K but I was thinking of either 14 or 20 K for the frag tank because I probably won't have T5s over it. I guess Im wondering what other people with similar setups are using. I also want to know what reflectors you like for hqis. I was looking at the reflectors from sunlight supply but I want some other options.

Paulairduck
10/15/2007, 01:29 AM
I have the same frag tank, I started with halides, and wanted to try a T-5 setup, so I purchased ice-cap 660 with four 54 watt bulbs, two ati blue and two geismann pure actinic, the growth has been great and the heat is about half of the halide.

I have frags of Tyree PM, Blue Tort, orange digitata, cali tort,many different milles, stags, birdsnest, cap's, you name it they all are thriving under this lighting!!:eek1: :bum: :eek2:

hahnmeister
10/15/2007, 02:43 AM
You might consider T5s for this like the duckster mentioned, for coverage... the length and shallowness lends itself to a 4-6x54watt unit. Otherwise, a single 250wattDE in a lumenarc style reflector should get a good amount of it lit well, but its such a directional light source that corals tend to grow funny under it. You might consider a light mover in that case so that one pendant can cover the whole length of the tank better, and the light covers more of the coral's surface. Myself and some buddies have been using them now for a while with impressive results.

drawman
10/15/2007, 05:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10973547#post10973547 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hahnmeister
You might consider a light mover in that case so that one pendant can cover the whole length of the tank better, and the light covers more of the coral's surface. Myself and some buddies have been using them now for a while with impressive results.
I've thought about using a light mover too. I've only seen sunlight supply's and I thought it was pretty expensive. Do you know of anyone else who makes one?

hahnmeister
10/15/2007, 01:26 PM
Gualala Robotics sells one through Foster and Smith. Just look up 'Light Rail'. Its a nice unit, I use it myself. They have the best deal around on it.