PDA

View Full Version : Keep my PC or go for a MH

OGZ123
10/13/2007, 11:57 PM
Ok, im runnign a 20 g(long tank, 24'') saltwater tank with actually no coral in it, its been up for about..1 year. I have a power compact 130w on it with an actinic b and a 12k bulb. I was wondering if a 150w MH Clamp on wich is about 9,3'' by 7,2'' would be better then my PC ? Or is is only good for a nano.

Ty

OGZ123
10/14/2007, 12:04 AM
ah btw, im converting it to a reef tank, thats why i asked this question.

Steve973
10/14/2007, 12:35 AM
A twenty gallon tank is still considered to be a "nano". Have you considered the 24" Aquactinics T5HO fixture? It would fit the tank perfectly and be bright enough for you to keep anything you wanted, but it would not impart the amount of heat that a halide fixture would impart. Also, you have five bulbs to play with, so you have a lot more control over the look and spectrum of the light. With a halide, unless it is a combination fixture, you are stuck with just the color of one single bulb.

OGZ123
10/14/2007, 12:48 AM
ty, really nice setup. I think ill save for this one, it could get to 500$ with all the bulbs needed :( .

OGZ123
10/14/2007, 11:02 AM
Well..i have been thinkin about it and i dont have the budget for it right now. I can have a clamp on 150w mh for about 200$. Wich one would be better? The power compact 130w i have right now or the clamp one? Gimme ur opinion plz :)

d.french
10/14/2007, 11:09 AM
definitely would go with aquactnic t5's, i'm ordering the tx5 for my 75 gallon they are awesome lights and with individual reflector just about triple the light output.

d.french
10/14/2007, 11:14 AM
here is a link for you to check out i have a 36" on my 30 gallon
and i have shrooms, zoos, clams, lps corals doing good under this light. Not the best but good, decent price to. Metal halide might be to much heat for small tank so if anything please do a t5 light no power compact.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+12772&pcatid=12772

d.french
10/14/2007, 11:16 AM
24 inch comes with bulbs, riser brackets, and moonlights. I got corraline algae every in 30 gallon after 4 months tank running.

OGZ123
10/14/2007, 11:17 AM
Yeh but as i said, my budget is kind of low hehh. The only thing i can afford is the clamp one. Just wondering wich one is better between mh 150w(tank is 24'' and the lamp is 9'3'') and pc 130w

OGZ123
10/14/2007, 11:18 AM
Arright cool, ty d.french.

d.french
10/14/2007, 11:19 AM
24" current nova extreme t5 is only 159.00 at dr foster and smith cheaper than clamp on metal halide, and you wont have to worry about heat issues.

Steve973
10/14/2007, 12:23 PM
The only problem with the F&S fixture is that it doesn't appear to have individual reflectors. No pun intended, but the T5 bulbs really shine when they have the proper reflectors. To address your question about the halide vs. the compact fluorescent - the halide will be more intense. Again, this is a case where the reflector is important, and it will mean the difference between having a concentrated beam of light and having a nicely spread beam that will be more beneficial for your tank.

What I'm trying to say is that the answer is not simple and cut-and-dry as we'd all like it to be. Reflectors can definitely make or break any lighting fixture. Since halides have a concentrated area of light right in the middle of the bulb, you need to spread the light in a good pattern for the light to be of maximum benefit to the entire area of a tank. And the effectiveness of T5s rely on reflectors to get the light from all sides of the bulb to shine downward and into the water. I wouldn't worry too much about budget when it comes to lighting a 24" tank. If you have to save up for another month or so, it'll be worth it in the long run. Think of it this way - if you are unhappy with one fixture, you'll undoubtedly spend the extra money later to buy the "better" one.

Just weigh all of the facts and decide which one is best for you, and buy it when you can afford it.

GSMguy
10/14/2007, 12:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10968592#post10968592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by d.french
24" current nova extreme t5 is only 159.00 at dr foster and smith cheaper than clamp on metal halide, and you wont have to worry about heat issues.

this fixture has no reflectors for the t5s its better than pc but not much

get the aquatinics thats the best 24inch fixture for all types of corals

d.french
10/14/2007, 12:49 PM
i'm all for aquactnics, i just rather see someone get t5s over pc lights if they don't have money for better fixture, and yes nova xtreme far better than pc lights i went from pc's to nova xtreme on my 30 gallon and there is a big difference on coral growth and corraline algae. I think t5's with individual reflectors are the way to go i currently have 125 gallon with 72" outer orbit hqi with 3 150 watt 14k metal halides and 4 96 watts 50/50 pc bulbs if i could sell it i would get 72" constellation from aquactnics, 30 gallon has nova xtreme, and my 75 gallon that i'm working on is going to have aquactnic tx5 fixture.

d.french
10/14/2007, 12:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10968949#post10968949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
this fixture has no reflectors for the t5s its better than pc but not much

get the aquatinics thats the best 24inch fixture for all types of corals

has one big reflector just not individual, not a bad fixture for a beginner who might not have the money, i've seen all types of corals and clams under these fixtures also given the right water parameters.

GSMguy
10/14/2007, 12:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10969061#post10969061 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by d.french
has one big reflector just not individual, not a bad fixture for a beginner who might not have the money, i've seen all types of corals and clams under these fixtures also given the right water parameters.

they kept corals clams and carpet anemones alive under NO flourescent back in the day as well.... i think if your trying to upgrade why not buy something with the moste efficient use of light available and not handicap yourself from the begining.

but your right about one thing light is only 1/3 the equation

OGZ123
10/14/2007, 01:05 PM
Ty guys for all the reply. It is suppose to be my christmas gift :D from my girlfriend aha. Well if i put some money with her i might be able to afford the aquactinics t5 who seems to be the best setup for me. I dont like to be limited on my actions when it comes to add corals so, guess i gotta go for the bigger setup!

OGZ123
10/14/2007, 01:48 PM
Ho and btw, is it normal that coralline algae dosnt grow under my pc? I mean..i have lil bit of coralline but its because it was aleardy on the rocks when i bought them. I think I never seen any improvment with coralline in my tank since its up.

rickh
10/14/2007, 02:53 PM
The Aquactnic t5 is a nice light, it should be, over $400 for a light for a 20 gallon. Unless you want to try a clam or SPS your 130 watts of PC should be fine. I have a Nano with Zoas, Mushrooms, LPS and Monopora growing well under 65 watts in a 12" deep tank. Your tank is deeper, but you should try what you have. You could also get the Nova from Drs F&S, try it for a month, it you don't see an improvement they will take it back.

As you may have noticed many people on the forms are either Paris Hilton's long lost brother and have deep pockets--or they just talk a good talk :)
Don't let this hobby put you in poor house. Spend your money on your girlfriend. R

OGZ123
10/14/2007, 03:32 PM
ahaha aaright dude, imma give it a try with zoas and shrooms. Lets hope for the best!

Dave.

Steve973
10/14/2007, 04:01 PM
If you're only going to keep soft corals, then the light technology that you use isn't extremely important. As long as your light gives you the visual appeal that you desire, you're fine. So, for now, you can safely keep your current lights. When you are ready to try corals that require higher light, then you can upgrade your light fixture. At that time, I'd strongly recommend the Aquactinics TX5!