PDA

View Full Version : How much do you trust the commercial built stands ?

flamenco-t
10/12/2007, 11:29 PM
I am setting up a 75 gallon, I have them previously on DIY stand that is only 24' tall. Since I wanted a taller stand, but don't feel like spending another weekend building another stand, I ended up buying a used stand that was made commercially.

Well, my old stand uses 2 x 6 double up as frame and cover up with 3/4" plywood.

The new stand uses 1x4" and 1x6" with lap joint.

It's the standard 48 x 18" all glass stand.

Being an engineer (used to) my mind starting to wonder, do they really expect this 1x4 and 1x6 to hold over 600 lbs ? The previous owner have their 105 gallon tank on the same stand.

What's your take on it ? what kind of stand do you have ? I am curious to see what you guys are using..

stan

sjm817
10/12/2007, 11:34 PM
Never heard of one failing. DIY stands are way overbuilt.

madadi
10/13/2007, 02:50 AM
i have a stand that was looking a bit flimsy to me and i reinforced it with 2by4s on the inside. i took off the bottom inside of the cabinet and ran the 2by4s all the way to the ground. nailed it to the outside boards from the inside in the corners. if it will help you sleep better at night. i had a little flood problem so i don't trust wet wood. it did help me sleep better at night.

triggerfreak
10/13/2007, 08:10 AM
Well i had the same question on my new all glass 210 gallon tank.I bought the factory all glass stand ( 24 x 72 ) and it seemed way under built.But everyone that i talked to said that they have never heard of one failing.And alot of places will only warranty there tanks on there stands.So you will be just fine, don't worry.And as said before diy stands are way over built.

sjm817
10/13/2007, 08:24 AM
A stand is a box the same footprint as the tank. The weight is supported because you have 24" or so tall pieces of plywood supporting the weight. It would take an enormous force to crush 2'+ of plywood straight down. A sheet of plywood on the top and bottom keeps the box true and prevents it from racking.

MstgKillr
10/13/2007, 08:43 AM
Anyone every hear anything about RJ Aquatics.

I am going to be using their extreme stand and canopy for my 215 Oceanic Ultimate.

Thanks,

fat-tony
10/13/2007, 09:16 AM
I don't trust AGA stands for anything. I had a 125 on one and with 1 finger I could literally get a little sway out of it. When I changed tanks, I reinforeced that shell when my buddy got it and there's NO movement. My new one is 3/4 plywood skin on 4x4 corners and mixed with the traditional 2x4 stand that's seen on this site.

sjm817
10/13/2007, 09:49 AM
If your stand racks (sways), a sheet of plywood on the top and/or bottom will stabilize it.

reign
10/13/2007, 10:18 AM
diy stands are way ovebuilt...most manufactured stands support tanks for years even with a little sway....I have seen stands hold good for decades....I have never seen a manufactured stand fail (even when a little wood rot was present scary!!!)

fat-tony
10/13/2007, 11:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10963833#post10963833 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reign
diy stands are way ovebuilt...most manufactured stands support tanks for years even with a little sway....I have seen stands hold good for decades....I have never seen a manufactured stand fail (even when a little wood rot was present scary!!!)

overbuilt isn't a bad thing. especially when you have kids running around.

sjm817
10/13/2007, 11:06 AM
The main disadvantage of an overbuilt stand is you lose some interior space. Other than that, it doesn't hurt anything.

Lumamae
10/13/2007, 09:33 PM
If you have any worries at all, just reinforce the key points for peace of mind. But you really don't need much to reinforce.