PDA

View Full Version : Rods food.

sammie
10/12/2007, 03:04 PM
Has anyone here used Rod's food for their reef?? I was in Chicago this week and stopped in at his place and was talking about a lot of stuff including his food he sells. He is basically cut back to only doing the food and breeding the onyx clowns and his maintenance business. The best selling point I saw for the food was the fish he has in his tanks. The colors were like nothing I've seen before except on the actual reef. It sold me in wanting to try it and see what happens.

The other thing we were mostly talking about were the breeding of his clowns and how he goes at it. Really a simple settup. I'm going to break down and give it a try with the next batch of eggs.

He also has 2 gigantus(sp) anenomes that are about 18-20 inches across and several years old that are just perfect He attributes his success with these to his surge system he has on each tank.

Main point was to see if anyone is using his food. Maby a group buy in the future!!!!

Phishy you listening????

Mantis
10/12/2007, 03:10 PM
Great stuff, but really expensive,
I prefer to make my own.

scottfarcuz
10/12/2007, 03:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10959175#post10959175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mantis
Great stuff, but really expensive,
I prefer to make my own.

Agreed.

Also look into adding b12. I've read a lot on this improving fish color, and feel it has actually done something for mine.

porky
10/12/2007, 03:31 PM
I've used Rod's food and I love it!
However there are some guys here locally who do a good job, I got some homemade fish food from Kevin (ItzMe) and that stuff was some of the best food I've fed my reef. Coral opened up and almost turned inside out over this stuff!

Treg
10/12/2007, 04:08 PM
I like Rods food too. It isnt cheap but neither are the ingredients in it!

I had an angel fish that wouldnt eat and the Rod's Food was actually the first food she accepted.
Not saying that it was the food that got her to eat but maybe it was. :)

Just an FYI, Dan @ Salty Critter carries it. ;)

TOURKID
10/12/2007, 04:14 PM
I love it. the fish go crazy for it. I got a sample of it from rokle, Ive been waiting to do a group buy!!

(I asked phishy months ago, i dont think hes going to carry it)

anyways, im in if it happens

RokleM
10/12/2007, 06:07 PM
Yup, I use it. My only complaint is that it "liquefies" into a lot of really small particles during feeding... BUT that could also be a good thing for SPS ;) Arctic pods achieve the most insane feeding frenzy when I add it to the water, but Rod's is tied with Mysis for the #2 spot.

Treg, it may not be the wonder food, but it was one of the first things my leopard very readily excepted as well.

sammie
10/12/2007, 07:14 PM
Maggie have you tried it with your copperband???

Treg
10/12/2007, 07:43 PM
here's an idea:

how bout you guys contact Dan and see if he is attending the frag swap?

Im sure he would be willing to bring some.

TOURKID
10/12/2007, 07:55 PM
sammie.. i started to post here but dident want to keep bringing it up lol

yes i did try it. rods food, and cyclops were the only two foods that i got any response out of the copperband. but im pretty sure it dident eat. (pretty small and i cant get close or it hid)

well, its in the reef now eatting stuff off rocks. still gotta work on the frozen foods..