PDA

View Full Version : last nights power outage.

mustangsv0
10/22/2002, 07:54 PM
i decided last weekend to keep my setup, the metal halides, and not downgrade the reef. then comes this power outage, and my tank is without power for 4-5 hours. i lose so many of my favorite pieces, my favorite piece the efflo russell gave me is gone. i'm not sure what i should do now. i'm thinking about downgrading the lighting again, since i don't have many sps' anymore, besides montiporas.

:(

Mr Neutron
10/22/2002, 09:12 PM
Sorry to hear that, Vic. I know you put alot of work and had some nice pieces in there. Just wondering though why your acros would die after only 4 or 5 hours? I've had the power off for 2 hours before and not had any problems. :confused:

George_N_Jo
10/23/2002, 08:30 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss. Let me know if there is anything in my tanks that you might like to have a frag of. I think together the club can help you recover from this loss. After all that is part of what it is all about. Shoot me a message and let me know what you are interested in. Dont be shy.

mustangsv0
10/23/2002, 11:42 AM
i don't know what i'm going to do. i might just salvage what's left and go from there, or i might just give it up. i have to see what survives.

victor.

TROPHYKW
10/23/2002, 06:30 PM
Sorry Vic ,that really sucks the big one.If there anything I can do let me know and if you want frags just say the word.
Nick

mustangsv0
10/23/2002, 06:41 PM
thanks nick. i'm probably going to go with LPS and softies now. but i'm still working on a plan.

Timothy McCandless
10/26/2002, 07:08 AM
Victor,
As everyone else has said. If there is anything I can do for you just let me know.
Unfortunately I won't be at the meeting tonight. But, if you need anything don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Tim

MORAY
11/07/2002, 12:23 PM
Well, I haven't been to this board lately, but I'm sorry to hear about that too Victor. And, I will give you frags to recover also. Let me know what you end up doing. I'm sure there are many people who will help you out. The best part of the club is all the great people that make it up.

That is one of my fears if a hurricane comes. I have lost power for 4hours here without losing anything but if we ever get a hurricane we should long term think of a plan. I had friends and relatives in Louisiana without power for 2-3 days from Lilli. That would be a real challenge for anyone to overcome.

John

mustangsv0
11/07/2002, 01:11 PM
my plan is to just decrease the amount of things in the tank. i'm going to be taking out a portion of my rock, so i have a more open looking tank. then just keep lower maintenance, easier to keep corals.

i'm just tired of the whole thing now, but all my friends think the tank is cool, so i figure i'll keep something. i'm going to try to find a cool fish to add to the tank.

the only hard corals i'll probably end up keeing are the green slimer frag from george and jo, the brown, orange and green digitata. the purple, orange, and green caps. the purple acro from toomey, and a green acro from joe. i don't really have much to get rid of in terms of sps. i'll probably even have to trim this list down, as i really want a lot of open sand space and less rock.

thanks for the offers on frags.

MORAY
11/07/2002, 01:20 PM
Hey Victor,

I forgot to tell you that my copper banded is not only doing well but will just about eat out of my hand. That is how most of my fish are, so I don't know if they pick that up from one another or not. I haven't had it that long for it to be doing that. It didn't eat at first but I fed it live brine and now it eats frozen mysis very well. It also comes to the glass to see me. Very cool fish!

JW

mustangsv0
11/07/2002, 07:27 PM
john,
why's it not doing so well?? is it killing off the aiptasia?? is it skinny? it's been what, a month since you got it?

that's cool though, how it will eat out of your hand. i'm not sure if you saw the picture on here, where the dude was handfeeding his aiptasia.

Mr Neutron
11/07/2002, 08:19 PM
Vic, he means it's *not only* doing so well it's also eating out of his hand. ;)

MORAY
11/07/2002, 09:58 PM
Victor,

Like Chad said, it's doing GREAT! It had some kind of injury on it's side but recovered very well. Man, it's a very cool fish.

I ranks up there with my Purple tang and my Yellow streaked wrasse. That wrasse is maybe the coolest fish I have ever had. Had him and the purple both over a year.

Another purple firefish has vanished though. After two months it's like it went into a black hole as Buddy says. I'm suspecting my Sally lightfoot.

What happened to spellcheck?

Later,

JW

mustangsv0
11/07/2002, 10:43 PM
lol. my bad, i just re-read that.

good to hear. i saw the coolest fish the other day, a eel goby, or at least that's what it was called. i looked it up in a couple books but no luck on it. i was going to get it, but i didn't know anything about it and it wasn't eating.

sucks about the firefish, but i guess that happens to a lot of people's firefish.

about the spellcheck, i don't want to assume, so i'm going to say i don't really know.

MORAY
11/07/2002, 11:16 PM
Someone else was talking to me about an ell goby. I think is was Sean11.

My first firefish lasted over a year, then poof.

The last one was doing great and was out front all the time. But, sometimes they dart away and hide. I think that is when something gets them.

It sucks because I like them and it's like out of my control. The chance of me catching that sally are non existant. I'm not even sure how long they live. This one is 1.5 years that I have had it.

I don't think I'll get another firefish until I find that crab dead. It might be the same thing that had attacked my spotted manderinfish. I had blamed the coral banded shrimp. He joined the George Washington part of the tank, so he didn't get the firefish.

John

mustangsv0
11/08/2002, 09:15 AM
how big is your sally lightfoot?? i've only had good experiences with them. they take care of algae pretty good, as do the emerald crabs.

i caught mine at night. i used to flip the lights on at night and find the crabs on the sandbed, so one night i watched with the lights off and then flicked them on and used a net to catch mine.

MORAY
11/08/2002, 09:32 AM
I can't really give a good estimation on the size of it. Kind of like a big spider. Yea, you are right, she (I'm guessing, but I could look next molt) does a good job with algae. All around a pretty cool crab. I'll let her die a natural death but I don't know how long they can live.

JW

Mr Neutron
11/08/2002, 12:16 PM
I've read a few sources that 5 years is a good 'old' age for lightfoots.

MORAY
11/08/2002, 12:26 PM
Well, that gives the old girl quite a while to go.

JW