PDA

View Full Version : white fuzz growing

steve36
10/22/2002, 05:17 PM
So my algie is finally dieng but is beibg replaced by this whiteish clear fuzzz. Any clue what this may be. Also I use B-ionic but can't seem to keep my alk very high about 8-9 dkh. any thoughts. I have been adding reef builder to supplement but that does not seem to help that much. all other specs are fine.

newkie
10/22/2002, 06:02 PM
Sorry, but that's not much detail to go on. What algae... your coralline algae has turned white? If so, its dead. Never heard of it going fuzzy before.

I'm not sure that using b-ionic and reefbuilder at the same time is such a good idea. Do a water change to normalize your levels and then just use b-ionic Start increasing the amount of both equally. PS: what is your ca and pH swing? Maybe you don't need to be that concerned about it. Also could it be your test kit? What brand is it? How old is it?

steve36
10/23/2002, 03:53 AM
Thank you for the reply. The white fuzzzzzzz is growing on the rocks where mat and hair algae were. The coraline growth has been good and has overtaken the nuisance algae. the fuzz grows, or is, where the green algae was growing. As for the B-ionic I can use up to the max 1cc per gal. and it still will not get alk above 9.5 or so dkh. The swing is from 8.24 - 9.2 give or take a few tenths. I change about 15 gal every month or so in a 55 gal tank. Just wanted to see if anybody else had experienced anything similar.