PDA

View Full Version : jbj nano cube or bio cube???

cp3823
10/07/2007, 08:19 PM
What are all your opinions on the JBJ 12 gallon deluxe tank? I found a sweet deal on one that is only a month old for 100 bucks.

What are the pro's of this system??

What are the con's of the system??

What are the upgrades I could/should do to this system?

Should I get this or hold out and get something bigger/better??

I'm new to the s/w world and I'm looking to get started with a quality product. PLEASE HELP . What is recomended?

cp3823
10/07/2007, 08:56 PM
anybody??????????????????

AJO
10/07/2007, 09:04 PM
I have had my jbj 12gal. for two years, and it has been a great little tank. the first up grade I did is replace the stock pump with a mj1200 and remove the bio balls and ceramic rings from the back. It sounds like a good deal for only 100 bucks.

mystrybird
10/07/2007, 09:57 PM
I have the JBJ. There might be a reason for the person selling the tank after 1 month.

I have not had mine running in over 6 months. In fact, I just unplugged it one day and walked away. As I type, I look over at it and wonder how much longer it will take before the water completely evaporates!

For a while I had used it for a QT tank, then a reject tank, "critters that had been ejected from other tanks for bad behavior" It was not even good enough for them.

In my opinion, this is the most poorly designed set up in history! My cheapo outdoor water fountain/ bird bath had a better pump than the JBJ came with. You can replace it but that still will not solve the filtration problems. There really is no way to upgrade and correct the problem unless you are willing to put up with a hang on power filter attached to the front of the tank.

I also had trouble with the lighting shorting out the first year. The company was willing to replace it for the cost of shipping. (warranty had just recently expired) but in the end I decided I had no reason to pay a few more $$ for shipping for something I was not going to use again.

This is just my personal experience, but if I were you, I would do myself the favor of going to Wal-Mart and buying a cheap 10 gal setup. (with the money saved you might be able to buy 2 and still upgrade the lighting!)

I wouldn't even feel right giving mine away!
Just my opinion, I have nothing against the company, just the poor design of the tank

cp3823
10/07/2007, 10:16 PM
wow, so the nano's are junk?

AJO
10/07/2007, 10:18 PM
Wow ...mystrybird you must have gotten lemon, sorry to hear that.
I have never had any problems with mine. I do agree the stock pump is not that good, but it has work fine with the mj1200 pump.

AJO
10/07/2007, 10:23 PM
mystrybird let me know when you are going to throw yours in the trash, so I can come get it before the trashmen get it.:D

cp3823
10/07/2007, 10:27 PM
yeah, maybe he will give it to me so I can get one going?

mystrybird
10/07/2007, 10:45 PM
Dang! if someone is that desperate for it, I still have the original boxes and packing material. If someone thinks they can make it work, you are welcome to it!

Will trade if for a decent frag if you are willing to pay for shipping.

marinelife
10/07/2007, 10:56 PM
We have a JBJ6 and a BioCube 8 and 29, so far all three are nice and work great/ For $100 I would get it

cp3823
10/07/2007, 11:32 PM
mystrybird you got a pm.

mystrybird
10/07/2007, 11:34 PM
AJO,
Do you have pictures of the modifications you made?
I don't understand the need for a chiller.

I still have no use for the JBJ. but might be willing to make the modifications if someone is willing to take it off my hands.

If I am able to get rid of it, I would be able to make room for another tank. (one that is usable)

Please show me the best way to modify it so that I can feel safe enough to shove it off to a newbie.

cp3823
10/07/2007, 11:43 PM
how much to ship it mystrybird? I'm interested.

mystrybird
10/08/2007, 12:03 AM
cp3823

I sent you a pm as well.

cp3823
10/08/2007, 12:09 AM
cool. sent ya one back lol.

AJO
10/08/2007, 11:04 AM
mystrybird, I don't have any pics of the mods. but I will try to take some to night and post them. The reson I need a chiller is my house has no AC and the room temp gets up to 99F in the summer.

mystrybird
10/08/2007, 10:55 PM
AJO, Thanks. If you ever get any pics let me know. I don't plan to use the tank again myself. But like I said, would modify it before I would get rid of it to someone new to saltwater.

Dang! 99F in your house! You must love your fish! You gave them air conditioning before yourself!

take care!