PDA

View Full Version : Leaking!!!

Hopeful Reefer
10/07/2007, 02:19 PM
I need some quick help...if anyone can...

I was out with the wife running errands...came home and my 29g is slowly leaking...thank god I made the bottom of my stand water tight, because there was 2" of water in it...leaking off the front lip of the stand and running/dripping in to the inside of thestand... :eek: :eek2: :mad2:

I have a 75g that I am setting up as most of you know...but unfortunately I'm not anywhere near ready to set it up...I need my baffles for my sump, plumbing and 250w MH M58 lights!!

Anyone able to help in a quick way?! I'm trying to do damage control at the moment, but I have few buckets to do so...this is going to be a bad holiday weekend...

virginiadiver69
10/07/2007, 02:40 PM
What kind of help are you looking for? I'll do what I can.
I have a few spare tanks ranging from 15-30 gals and a shop vac.

Hopeful Reefer
10/07/2007, 02:51 PM
Well, I suppose if I have the light bulbs I can at least get the 75g going without filling it the whole way...basically just enough to cover the live rock and the corals...I have 2 401k checks coming this coming week/beginning of next week, so if I need to pay a few dollars for each bulb from someone I can do that...I have the ballasts, just need the bulbs...I got a piece of air conditioning flashing from a guy at work that will work for now as a reflector...

If I can at least fill the tank to the point where the corals and live rock are covered, I guess I'll be ok for a week or so...until I can buy my plumbing and baffles...I'm just not sure how much water I have here to put in...

Basically, I'm looking for anything I can get...

virginiadiver69
10/07/2007, 02:58 PM
Sorry I don't use MH or I could help.

Hopeful Reefer
10/07/2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the offer...I have a shopvac too, so I have that covered...

I could maybe use a little water and/or a few buckets...that may help with the transfer...

virginiadiver69
10/07/2007, 04:03 PM
I have about 4 or 5 empty 5 gal buckets and about 20-30 gals of salt water mixed up(I can make more on the fly) you are welcome to.

Hopeful Reefer
10/07/2007, 04:07 PM
I may need to take you up on that offer...I'll let you know soon...shame you are about an hour and a half from me...we'll have to meet about halfway or so if I get that water from you...

I'll let you know...

Hopeful Reefer
10/08/2007, 10:04 AM
Still trying to deal with this...thank god it is a slow leak and lasted overnight...I was trying to rush to get the 75g ready to switch everything over but passed out around 3am in the recliner...

Anyone have any suggestions/offers please?

will_w
10/08/2007, 10:36 AM
I may have some older bulbs you can have if you still need them. I will need to check if I held on to them. I would worry about getting the water straight for now. Not having light for a couple of days will not kill the corals but no water will. You also want to get some pumpls and a skimmer working asap. Let me know if you still need the bulbs.

Hopeful Reefer
10/08/2007, 10:46 AM
Will - Thanks a ton for the offer for your bulbs...if you do have them, and they are 250w M58 MH bulbs I will definitely take them if you don't mind...I don't care about older bulbs for now, since I'll have money to replace them in a few weeks...as for the skimmer, I have a Remora HOB skimmer on my 30g now, so that is covered...I basically had everything for the 75g I needed execpt for finishing the lighting, sump and plumbing...I have several Seio's that I'm going to use in the tank for flow...and I already have plenty of live rock to transfer over...

My one concern though, is that if I get the thing filled I will not be able to reposition things for the plumbing...I guess that isn't really a big deal, just a thought...and, I never got a chance to paint the back of the tank either, so I guess I'll have to get some scrap acryllic or sign board and paint it black and attach to the back of the tank...

Thanks again for the offer...

virginiadiver69 - I think I may need that water after all...I was checking locally with Anthony (twon8) cause he normally has some made up but he is out of salt...send me a PM and we can work things out...

will_w
10/08/2007, 11:39 AM
Jason what is a M58 Bulb. I have a couple of XM 15k 250w bulbs, but I do not know if they are M58

Hopeful Reefer
10/08/2007, 11:52 AM
M58 = pulse start ballast...

Straight from the the www.hellolights.com web site...

XM 250w 15k bulbs...

"Operate on a probe start ballast or ARO electronic ballast!"

So, those bulbs would work perfect...if you have them and are willing to part with them, send me a PM and we can work on meeting up today...

angelscrx
10/08/2007, 05:18 PM
I have a few XM 250w 20ks if you need them. I also have two 29g tubs you can use? I use them for water changes and I just did one this weekend so I won't need them back right away. Just let me know? Thanks

Hopeful Reefer
10/08/2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks Angel...

YHPM :)

gnrlee
10/08/2007, 08:29 PM
I have a couple of old light also. If you have another tank, you can temporaraly plumb the 75 until you get your baffles. I have done that at least a couple of times just to get by.

Hopeful Reefer
10/08/2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the lights offer Jason...I think I am good on the bulbs for now but I reserve the right to call upon your for them at another time... :lol:

As for the plumbing, I don't actually have the PVC yet...won't have that until my 401K check gets here at the end of the week...as for plumbing temporarily, you mean put a small tank in with no baffles just to set the skimmer in, then turn everything off and swap out when the sump is ready?

gnrlee
10/08/2007, 09:04 PM
Yep. Just to get the water moving and the filtration, at least the skimmer going.

Hopeful Reefer
10/08/2007, 09:12 PM
Well, without the PVC I can't even do that...gonna rely on several Seios for water movement inside the tank (water level will be just below the overflow) and my Remora HOB skimmer for now...hopefully I can get everything though this ok...

will_w
10/10/2007, 09:13 AM
Jason, Did the lights work out for you?

- Will

Hopeful Reefer
10/11/2007, 08:29 AM
Sorry it took so long to respond...pregnant wife had to go in to the doctor to check for pre-term labor...and is now on bed rest...geesh...how dare she mess up my plans to finish the 75g!! ;) :lol2:

Will - Thanks for checking...the lights look great and work wonderfully...I have make-shift reflectors for now, but I am expecting to have regular spider reflectors within the week...I really like the blue color of these things...I don't think I will really even need any actinic supplimental lights, but I may add my T5's just for the added light and possibly to turn them on/off half an hour on either side of the MH's coming on/off...even if they are only 36" lights, I still think they could be usefull...

Thanks everyone for the concern and the PM's...I still have a couple people to respond to and one or two offers for help that I may take people up on yet...this has been super tough to try to get everything taken care of...at least for right now my livestock is doing "ok" in my old 10g with one of my 96w PC Quad lights...just don't want stuff in there too long, so stuff doesn't brown out...

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can acclimate my corals to the new, more intense light? Going from 175w MH & 2 36" 54w T5's to 2 250w 15K lights is gonna be a shock for them...should I use some sort of filter, reduce light cycle, etc. to get them used to the new light?