dkuster
10/04/2007, 09:34 AM
I have a BPS-5C skimmer, and was wondering if it is possible
to feed this skimmer directly from a pre-filtered overflow box
instead of using a dedicated pump.

Is this possible? Is anyone successfully doing this with this
skimmer?

I'd like to avoid having to run two pumps (one for sump return
and one for this skimmer) to save on the electric bill.

Thanks!

dkuster
10/04/2007, 10:51 AM
Not to answer my own question, but I just had a thought.

How about raising the skimmer up on a platform and allowing it
to drain directly into the tank? It could then be driven directly
from the sump pump.

gcarroll
10/04/2007, 10:59 AM
I have a friend that is doing this. although he is using a Iwaki 100 as his return so he had lots of gph and pressure to spare. It seems to be working awesome.

dkuster
10/04/2007, 11:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10901751#post10901751 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gcarroll
I have a friend that is doing this. although he is using a Iwaki 100 as his return so he had lots of gph and pressure to spare. It seems to be working awesome.

Hi Greg,

Which is your friend doing, skimmer return to tank, or skimmer
fed by overflow?

I think I like the sound of 'skimmer return to tank' best, but I'm
wondering if I'll have a problem with lots of small bubbles
getting in the tank...

oct2274
10/04/2007, 11:23 AM
i'm going to definitely say no way on this one. These types of skimmers need some sort of pressure to perform well and gravity definitely is going to cut it. You can do this some other skimmers, but ones that use injectors or venturi's aren't going to perform well or at all.

dkuster
10/04/2007, 11:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10901892#post10901892 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oct2274
i'm going to definitely say no way on this one. These types of skimmers need some sort of pressure to perform well and gravity definitely is going to cut it. You can do this some other skimmers, but ones that use injectors or venturi's aren't going to perform well or at all.

Thanks for the input. I'm not surprised -- I didn't think gravity
feed was likely to work.

luke33
10/04/2007, 11:50 AM
Gravity feeds are imo only useful when it comes to recirc water feeding. Like octo said, a venturi need pressure to pull the air.

law086
10/05/2007, 11:34 AM
I can't think of any reason your second idea wouldn't work. Basically raise your skimmer over your display tank, feed the skimmer with your return pump and drain the skimmer to the display. Besides maybe having some microbubble issues, and loosing some power due to head loss, it should work.

luke33
10/05/2007, 11:42 AM
Yes, but imo your going to have to get a new pump, because thats alot of head loss most likely.

gcarroll
10/05/2007, 12:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10901838#post10901838 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dkuster
Hi Greg,

Which is your friend doing, skimmer return to tank, or skimmer
fed by overflow?

I think I like the sound of 'skimmer return to tank' best, but I'm
wondering if I'll have a problem with lots of small bubbles
getting in the tank... return pump is T'd off to tank return and tank. Skimmer is external and output returns to sump.

dkuster
10/08/2007, 10:13 AM
Just to follow up, I have the skimmer installed and working. I put a filter sock on the return to keep the bubbles out.

Right now it's being driven by a Rio Hyperflow HF26. Given the 5' of head pressure I think the flow rate is slightly inadequate.

I'm going to replace the pump with a Mag 18. That should give enough flow for the skimmer, and alow me to 'T' off some flow for the refugium I'd like to set up.