PDA

View Full Version : skimmer stink up the room

ddboy
10/02/2007, 01:19 PM
I have a euroreef RS 135 skimmer. It works great and I love it. but there is a problem with the smell. since there are many small holes on top of the lid. And it is stinking up my family room.
Does anyone has any idea to get rid of that smell?

javajaws
10/02/2007, 01:27 PM
I've heard of people suggesting putting some kalk in the skimmer cup (or some kalk paste). I haven't tried it personally but its worth a shot.

jpa14
10/02/2007, 01:28 PM
I run a drain line from the skimmer cup to 1/2 gallon jug. i add soap to the jug i have no smell

ddboy
10/02/2007, 01:31 PM
I don't think I want to drill for a drain line. can I tape up all those holes?

oct2274
10/02/2007, 01:34 PM
if you tape up the holes the air has no where to go lol. it will just blow your lid off or lift it enough to vent. It will also effect the ability of the skimmer to skim correctly.

frag master flash
10/02/2007, 01:40 PM
I would definately avoid taping up the holes - you need somewhere for all the air that is injected into the skimmer to escape. I have used the kalk in the cup successfully. I believe it makes the skimmate very basic and prevents the growth of bacteria that break down the skimmate and help produce the rotting smell. whatever it does, it definately seems to help with the smell.

ddboy
10/02/2007, 01:51 PM
where do I find kalk?
I heard people put carbon on the vent, will that work too?
I am thinking of taping most of the holes except 2 and put carbon on top of it. what do you guys think?

frag master flash
10/02/2007, 02:27 PM
kalk is short for kalkwasser which I believe is German for lime water. It is calcium hydroxide and can be obtained at most aquarium shops and online vendors. It makes a very basic solution when mixed with water. People often use it to add calcium and increase pH in conjunction with calcium reactors. Not sure about putting carbon on the vent of a ER. Most needle wheels have several holes in the lid for air to escape. I think carbon is mostly put on secondary waste containers for skimmers.

Jefe12234
10/02/2007, 02:49 PM
I've also heard of people using a little bleach or hydrogen peroxide in the skimmer cup. Hydrogen peroxide would probably be safer if the skimmer overflowed, plus it's easy to find. Kalk is probably the safest if you can find it. I don't think I'd tape up any of the holes. You might reduce the skimmer's performance.

CruzinKim
10/02/2007, 03:52 PM
anyone tried baking soda or a scented dryer sheet inside the collection cup?

ddboy
10/02/2007, 05:59 PM
or lay the scented dryer sheet on top of the collecting cup?

FroggyFeet
10/02/2007, 06:06 PM
I would just stick with the kalk, and defintly dont screw with that air pressure :).

kodyboy
10/02/2007, 06:40 PM
I have heard about carbon bags as well. Just put a mesh- bag of carbon on top of the skimmer, that should eliminate the smell and still let in/out air.

reefkeeper2
10/02/2007, 06:48 PM
Vent the skimmer output outside. Go get a funnell at the hardware store and push it onto the top of your skimmer. Then get some tubing and connect it to the top of the funnell. Run the tubing outside. I have two skimmers set up this way. It will also greatly reduce the humidity of your family room.http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3140mini-IMG_0047.JPG

Lemmz
10/02/2007, 07:17 PM
mrs wages pickling lime (calcium hydroxide), can get it almost any grocery store and alot less expensive than kalkwasser from an aquarium store