PDA

View Full Version : please move

Caliloaner
10/02/2007, 01:32 AM
My anemone took a floating trip and landed.... He then walked all over the tank reattached to the back of my live rock and it is extremely hard to get to him where he's at, for feeding that is.. I shot some mysis shrimp very close to him but can't tell if he's eating it... any chance he'll move again... I know they say once he's put don't relocate unless it's an emergency because he's happy... but he's totally out of site for me to see the feeding baister end...

wilsonh
10/02/2007, 01:56 AM
Many factors here. Is it fairly new to the tank? If so, due to getting messed around shipping, moving, etc. hiding for a while is a natural response. Leave it be for a week or two, don't bother to feed. This is to give it time to start feeling secure. It may then decide to come out by itself. However sometimes they can stay hidden till they die after a few months from lack of light. To prevent this, if it's still there after a few weeks, start removing rocks from above it, one rock every few days, till it's got some light shining on it. DON'T move the anemone this can scare it. Once there is a little light shining on it, once it's feeling better it will start to stretch out into the light. A gentle flow can help also. After a few months, you may be able to move it to where you want by moving the entire rock it is on, provided light and flow is similar where you move it to it should stay there.

While all this may seem rather slow, ripping in and going quick only further aggravates the situation you have to go slow and keep the anemone feeling safe.

Caliloaner
10/02/2007, 02:06 AM
Yeah, I just put him in there last friday... he has 250w of mH on him 10 hrs a day... he streches out and the clown fish won't leave it alone, they love it but now they are back there all the time too... I don't want it to die, it looks happy, its bubbles are full and out. It was $70 and very beautiful... The store got it the day I bought it, so it has moved alot in the past week.. Just don't want him to be there forever for his own good too..

wilsonh
10/02/2007, 02:23 AM
OK well the main thing is it will be fine for many weeks or even months without feeding, and even without much light, so patience is the main ingredient for success.

Also, overfeeding can cause them to move, one small portion each week or each fortnight is plenty!

But I'm sure it will eventually settle and all will be fine :)

Caliloaner
10/02/2007, 02:33 AM
cool thanks, that puts my mind at ease

wilsonh
10/02/2007, 02:41 AM
One other thing, 250 watts can be quite a lot for some BTA's, my one is under a 250 watt but it's right on the bottom of the tank, under an overhanging rock. It stretches out to get as much light as it wants but can also withdraw if need be. Some BTA's love it though and will stretch out right under a 250 watt so it just depends what your particular one is happiest with.

God of thunder
10/02/2007, 05:41 AM
I´m having the same problem, mine however is under a 400W 10k, is that going to be a problem??

wilsonh
10/02/2007, 08:03 AM
Is it a BTA or some other type of anemone? 400 watts is a lot for most BTA's but depends how far they are from it and at what angle, quite a bit to the side can mean considerably less light.
The situation a BTA likes best is to be in a hole or gap in the rock that it can withdraw into when threatened. So if this can be combined with a bit of an overhead overhang, this allows the anemone to regulate how much light it gets by going more, or less, under the overhang. BTA's also like a little, but not too much current.

God of thunder
10/02/2007, 08:10 AM
Yes it´s a BTA, the bulb is 33 inches from the bottom where the anemone stays, is that far enough?

wilsonh
10/02/2007, 08:18 AM
Yes that should be OK for most BTA's, assuming most of that 33 inches is water. My guess is it would be towards the upper end of the scale for light for an average BTA though.
Also you can get an idea by the behaviour of the anemone, if it is stretching out heaps and expanding towards the light it is getting the right amount or could even use more, but if it shrinks up away from it there is too much for it.

God of thunder
10/02/2007, 08:26 AM
THank´s i´ll keep that in mind.

wilsonh
10/14/2007, 03:16 PM
How's the anemone going now?

God of thunder
10/15/2007, 10:48 AM
I usat got back from aweekend imn the country and found out the tank has dropped down to a 23 C, not quite sure of what that is in F. any way it was wrether ill looking, apart from being in the back of the tank, almost out of sight it was doing really well asa far as ia know, well just have to wait and see if it recovers from the temp dropp

wilsonh
10/15/2007, 03:13 PM
Hmm.... Always something in reefing!

Oh well, keep us tuned in in a few weeks.

And howsabout yours Caliloaner?

God of thunder
10/15/2007, 04:26 PM
What do you mean ?

bertoni
10/15/2007, 04:30 PM
23 C is about 73 F, which is lower than I'd let the tank drop, but a lot depends on the average temperature.

Dingo Dog
10/15/2007, 04:46 PM
Welcome to the world of anemone. They move around and sting coral you don't want them to sting. Also be careful they don't get sucked into any intakes. Lost a green one that way. That's why I don't have them anymore. I did enjoy them though, as did my Maroon clowns. I just decided they weren't worth the trouble but love them in other people's tanks. Best to you and your anemone.

wilsonh
10/15/2007, 07:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10977358#post10977358 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by God of thunder
What do you mean ?

By always something in reefing?

I meant we never quite seem to have everything right LOL

coast2coast7390
10/15/2007, 08:11 PM
he/she should move if it doesnt like it there if it does then its going to stay there for a while