PDA

View Full Version : Sump and Fuge set up

specopsteam
09/27/2007, 08:25 PM
Im going to be setting up my first sump/fuge system here shortly and Im curious if I have LS, LR and Algea along with a skimmer is that going to work and be enough were I dont need to have a filter such as a HOB or canister filter?

My current tank is my first saltwater tank and its a nightmare with my Nitrate levels from my undergravel filter my millenum 300 HOB and my canister all of with I was told i need by my LPS. I have found that they arent helpful and they just want to sell me stuff. I am looking to do away with all this and was hoping i could do that with a sump/fuge

JJ4417
09/27/2007, 08:33 PM
You seriously have an undergravel filter? There is probably someone much smarter than me typing as I type this, but I would say that is your problem. Pull that out. Let the sand sit on the bottom. Get another 30 pounds of cured rock (unless you want to cure it in the garage for a month.) The skimmer/sump/fuge should solve most of your problems. By skimmer, I mean protien skimmer, not surface skimmer.

After you dump the under gravel filter, vaccuum the sand pretty good. Get rid of all the nasties. It sounds like it is overloaded.

How big are your fish? 11 is quite a bit unless they are all an inch or two long. When was the last water change? You're going to be doing that a lot to keep that much livestock. How much are you feeding? Is it all gone in 5 mins or so?

You are on the right path.

Just my newbie .02...

specopsteam
09/27/2007, 08:38 PM
At the time I didnt realize UGF were so bad since it was my first tank and I didnt really know what i was doing. Im setting up a larger tank and im transfering all my fish and LR to my new tank but im using a DSB this time instead of crushed coral like the LPS gave me. Will I be able to run a tank with no filters if i have LR, LS,
Algea in my sump/fuge and a DSB in my display with LR in there also?

szeth13
09/27/2007, 08:39 PM
yea get rid of that stinkin ugf. keep the canister and the hang on. you can put chemical media in those and yea 11 fish, thats alot.and to answer your question lr-no problem at all, ls- as long as your skimmer pump/pumps aren't sucking up any sand, you're good, algae- if its in a different part of the sump than your return pump and skimmer(which shouldnt be in the same compartment) you should be good.

JJ4417
09/27/2007, 08:49 PM
No worries...we all start somewhere. You will probably be able to run it without the hob and canister after it catches up to the bioload. You could leave on the canister and hob filter until the tank balances out. Then remove one and watch your water specs. If that goes well, remove the other.

Paul B
09/30/2007, 02:30 PM
Wow, you guys really hate UG filters :hammer:

Playa-1
09/30/2007, 02:46 PM
Yes your system should do well with LS, LR and Algea along with a skimmer. Just make sure your put the right quantity/size of LS, LR and Algea along with a skimmer.