PDA

View Full Version : seaclone skimmer

Maxi
09/24/2007, 09:30 PM
I saw on the back of my bag of instant ocean salt that I bought today, the seaclone skimmer 100, and 150.
Just wondering if anyone has used this before, and it seems like a good enough price for a small hang on back skimmer.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754567&cp&kw=seaclone&origkw=seaclone&sr=1#RatingsDetail

Has anyone ever used any of these?
This will go on a 26g bowfront mixed reef tank in the future.

rlee81indy
09/24/2007, 09:33 PM
please stay away from anything with the name seaclone on it, they are nothing but trouble. Im sure if you go to the equipment forum 50 other people will tell you the same thing

t-bone2
09/24/2007, 09:34 PM
probably good for a 26 gal not good for anything any bigger

Rockhead21564
09/24/2007, 09:37 PM
leaky junk!

moze229
09/24/2007, 09:39 PM
I had one about 5 or 6 years ago. It skims, but it's a poor performer. At times it's OK not to get the best of everything, but this skimmer does not function well at all. The design has improved, but you might as well go with the Coralife Needle Wheel for that price. I've heard good things about it. The low-end model should suit your setup wonderfully.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+13924&pcatid=13924

Matt

jcpatella
09/24/2007, 11:06 PM
I have a Seaclone. It isn't as HORRIBLE as people make it out to be - it's an $80 skimmer. I've had to make a couple of modifications for it to work well, though. If you've already bought it (and thrown away the receipt) it'll probably do fine for a 26gal. If you haven't gotten it, go with something like moze's advice and purchase one just a tad better (in case you upgrade tank size in the future).

Percula9
09/24/2007, 11:14 PM
Get an octopuss hang on skimmer.

AJO
09/24/2007, 11:17 PM
I have had a Seaclone 150 on my 12 gal. nano cube for the last two years. Seems to work fine. Never had any problems with it.
I don't know if I would use it on a 26 gal.

3rotorFD
09/24/2007, 11:49 PM
not worth the time/money

cplklegg
09/25/2007, 05:18 AM
My favorite topic. For the life and well-being of your aquarium wildlife, please don't even consider getting a seaCLOWN. I had a seaclown 100 for a 55 FOWLR, what a worthless waste of money it was. If it was a person I would say it was a waste of skin. Constant adjustments to the airflow that was maddening was just the start of frustrations. (by the way the airflow adjuster just flat broke off after 7 months) After FIRST cleaning of unit which entailed taking apart side pipe from unit to get inside; the seal broke at the elbow joint. Well after leaking water from broken seal I had to get some silicone sealant to patch the seal which took said skimmer out of operation for 48 hours. Add to this the poor, watery, almost clear skimmate on a heavily stocked fish only tank, I never realized what skimmate was(yes it's supposed to have COLOR) until I got a Coral life super skimmer(I know that it's not the best either, but at least it does something rather than NOTHING). I vowed to warn everyone that was interested to NEVER EVER purchase this product; you do what you want though, you've been warned. Much luck and happiness to you.

MRICKEN1012
09/25/2007, 02:23 PM
I have one and I think its worth the $80 (though mine was free). I did a couple of mods to it, which I wouldnt use with out. It seems to get the job done...... I just bought this skimmer on ebay. Ive had it for a couple weeks now and it works like a champ. Search odyssea skimmer. I paid like $50 with shipping, and Im very happy with it.

yoboyjdizz
09/25/2007, 02:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10837204#post10837204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 3rotorFD
not worth the time/money

Well said! Keep on looking!

seapug
09/25/2007, 03:21 PM
They aren't the "best," but if it's what you can afford, buy it. I have a Seaclone 150 and it does a pretty impressive job once you learn how to adjust it (the reason why most people can't get them to work right). I've got mine pulling 1/2 cup of tar-like sludge/day.

papagimp
09/25/2007, 03:24 PM
Allright, now that all that has been said, time for me to give my experience, lol. I've used a SC 150 on a 55g for well over a year, the thing worked better than anyone here claims they do. and definatly worked better than I can get my Corallife superneedle wheel 65 to work. I'd have to empty the full cup every other day, never leaked on me, never had to modify it in any way, never had a problem with microbubbles or anything else. For 55g or smaller, I'd say it's okay. Definatly not the BEST skimmer you could possibly get, but it will work and do it's job just fine. Now weather or not you can learn to adjust it properly that's a different story. I attribute everyones bad comments to the fact that they just didn't set em right. No offense everyone, even I agreed with everyone for the longest time until somebody showed me how to set one correctly, worked perfectly ever since and only needed one initial air valve adjustment between emptying the cup. I recently stuck a SC 100 on my 75g for a temporary solution to the no skimmer thing. I do consider them to be junk. The 150 is the only model SC I'd recommend if you were to get one. for a 26g tank, I'd get one again. In fact, when i finish my next 29g, it'll get a seaclone 150 on it. I'd also like to add, that if you were to get one, do not use the instruction on how to adjust it, their wrong 100%. Ya almost have to do the opposite of how it says to adjust them. Allright, I"m done, please continue bashing the seaclone everyone :D

yoboyjdizz
09/25/2007, 04:12 PM
I had one set it correctly work for a few months and then problems started just not worth the headache imo. For just a little bit more you can get a skimmer 100 times better and as far as coralife skimmers those are junk too.

jcpatella
09/25/2007, 05:27 PM
yoboyjdizz - Any suggestions?