PDA

View Full Version : Questions about sump and rock

cap1384
09/24/2007, 09:12 PM
I am new to the hobby. Something sparked my intrest a few months ago. I have been doing what research i can, but i have a few questions....
1. I would like to set up a sump. I was wondering if there are limitations to the size of sump i can use. I'm not sure what size tank I am going to start with. I do know that I can not afford th 100g tank i would like to start with so if i start with a lets say 29 or 40g tank can I use a sump large enough to accomidate a larger tank for upgrading in the future.

2.Live Rock. I know that it is benifical to use live rock. but live rock would be a hard hit to my budget. I was wondering if i could use a non-live rock(i.e. lava rock or some other highly porus rock) to start with. won't the rock become live in time.

3. Protien Skimmer. can I use a larger skimmer for a larger tank on a smaller tank so i can upgrade my tank later (i.e. a skimmer for a 100g tank on a 29 - 40g tank)

Thank you in advance for your help. Any and all information is helpfull thank you again.......

bertoni
09/24/2007, 09:29 PM
[welcome]

The sump can be any size that you want.

People seem to use lava rock successfully. It'll become live enough to do filtration over time, from what I can tell. Base rock will also do the same, and it's often fairly inexpensive.

An oversized skimmer is unlikely to cause any problems.

Roger928
09/24/2007, 09:32 PM
Great reading here:
http://wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

loosecannon
09/24/2007, 11:24 PM
Yes,No,Yes.

BangkokMatt
09/25/2007, 12:22 AM
To start with get the largest tank your budget will afford. If thats between the 29 and the 40 then go for the 40.
The sump canbe any size, the bigger the better as it will increase the amount of water you have.
Get live rock from the start. You will have to wait quite a while for lava rock etc to become live.
Get the biggest skimmer you can (within reason). It will skim much better and if you upgrade you may not need to get another (depending on how big your upgrade is)

BangkokMatt
09/25/2007, 12:23 AM
Oh - and welcome to RC:D

cap1384
09/25/2007, 09:56 PM
thank you all for your help

BangkokMatt
09/26/2007, 09:23 AM
:beer: Pleasure

cap1384
10/24/2007, 06:32 PM
I've been doing my research and i have come to lighting again and again its some what confusing.. I'm not sure what i need. I want lighting that is sufficent. i'm not sure of what i will be keeping but i want the lighting that i have to give me options. my budget doesn't allow for some of the light systems that i have seen. thanks for your help in advance

Playa-1
10/24/2007, 07:15 PM
I would highly recommend a used system either from a forum like this one or maybe the Craigs list in your area. With a little patients you should be able to pick up a complete system of just about any size for a fraction of what it would cost to buy new equipment and piece it together.

As far as knowing what you need, that will be determined by what you want to keep in your aquarium.

I highly recommend reading a couple of reef keeping books to get a good overview of the hobby. The hobby has evolved over the years so i would recommend recent books.

Lighting for example is a controversial subject. What you need will be determined by the size of your tank, what you expect to keep in the tank, your budget for the equipment, your budget for your electric bill, your expectations of the lighting equipment, and everybody you ask will have a different opinion of what you should get. I personally like the T5 retro kits if you have a canopy and your tank is not too deep . They are energy efficient and will grow anything you want them too.

By reading a couple of good books on the subject of reef keeping you will have a good base to work from and then when you inquire about a subject like this you will be able to take the reply's that you get and compare it to what you already know and make a pretty good decision on where to go from there.

cap1384
10/25/2007, 06:20 PM
I have bought books and i have read them all cover to cover. I don't really have any ideals of what i want to keep yet i know i want a few inverts and SPS but i am undecided as to what i want to keep. i have done much researh on the "lighting subject" i know its a conterversial issue. and that everyone has an oppinion about what is best. I want to start with a 55 gal tank i think it measures 48" x 18" x 12". any how i guess what i am asking is peoples opinions on lighting. I've noticed that there are alot of people who prefer MH with T5 for the acintic blue light. I just want to be confident that i am making the right decision with the lighting. I don't want to have regrets and wish i had got something else but knowing myself that will happen unless my budget expands soon I'm looking at spending about 2500 to start probally more.