PDA

View Full Version : freshwater dip???

Auntbeez
09/23/2007, 10:27 PM
I just got a piece of Orange Digi and an Orange Cap and they have crawley things on them.
I know you can do a freshwater dip on Zoas, but will the other corals take a dip without hurting them?

what do you use to get rid of the bugs if not, and if so, how long do you leave them in?

dots
09/23/2007, 10:44 PM
Crawly things? Amphipods perhaps?

Do they look like these?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1123467&highlight=nudibranch

Would you post a picture of them, or a little more description of these beasts?

Marko9
09/23/2007, 10:49 PM
Freshwater dips on SPS is not a good idea. If they are white with apendages, throw the pieces away before you even go down that road.

saltykelly
09/23/2007, 10:53 PM
I had monti eating nudis, and have been manually removing them with airline tubing to suck them out. I had done a freshwater dip on my orange cap, but the stress nearly killed it. It's do-able, but I would suggest just a lugols dip. It does almost as good as freshwater and it's helps the coral heal.

Marko9
09/23/2007, 10:57 PM
Nudis suck. I can not express to you how bad they are. I know many people that have battled them, but why would you if you have a choice? I have a orange digi with a green base. I will give you a frag of it; please do not even mess with them for those corals.

dots
09/23/2007, 11:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10829535#post10829535 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marko9
I have a orange digi with a green base. I will give you a frag of it;

That is very nice of you to offer Mark, I am sure that your piece came from a reputable source and has done even better in your care.

Excellent advice, though I hate to throw away livestock, these pieces are quite common around here and this would be the hassle free approach to the problem.

I was suspecting amphipods........

Auntbeez
09/23/2007, 11:42 PM
I think the picture DOT posted is exactly what they are.

I thought this was an a
egg group but maybe critters???
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x310/auntbeez/critters.jpg

The things I saw moving, though was way smaller

Auntbeez
09/23/2007, 11:44 PM
what do amphipods look like? are they bad too?

Marko9
09/23/2007, 11:45 PM
Yep. Monti nudis :( BTW, that is an amzzing shot. What set up are you using?

Auntbeez
09/23/2007, 11:55 PM
Bummer. :( So out it goes.

The offer of the frag... that is very nice of you. I don't want to put you out, though. I will be at the frag swap in Oct. so maybe I'll get another piece there.

The camera is a canon 700is. I did a macro shot and cropped it in photoshop.

Thanks everyone for your input

Marko9
09/23/2007, 11:59 PM
Hunt me down. I will have a piece for you. I will be the guy drooling over the corals, but upset because someone there is going to make a fuss on whether something is "rare" or not :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10829853#post10829853 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Auntbeez
Bummer. :( So out it goes.

The offer of the frag... that is very nice of you. I don't want to put you out, though. I will be at the frag swap in Oct. so maybe I'll get another piece there.

Auntbeez
09/24/2007, 12:16 AM
Thanks,
I have one more question or critter if you can ID it.
the green is a cheato strand.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x310/auntbeez/3.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x310/auntbeez/1.jpg

shiveley
09/24/2007, 12:20 AM
looks like a flat-worm, though I'm not sure of the exact type...

dots
09/24/2007, 12:28 AM
Yes, your first critter is the nudibranch we were speaking of.

Red Planaria I hope.......the mild cousin of the AEFW (Acro Eating Flat Worm) and fairly common.

I believe Salifert Flat Worm Exit is effective on this type.

Do you have any other SPS in your tank that have "white" marks on them as seen in the link below?

This is why:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=899108

Side note:
The other type of flat worm is a BIG DEAL and can not stress enough to anyone into SPS and who is still learning about them to do your homework on the pests associated with SPS. If you are in doubt about having them or not to make sure before accidently spreading them to others. SPS tanks can be wiped out because of this parasite, and I would hate for anyone in MARS or myself to get these.

This id chart is a good reference for future identification questions.

http://melevsreef.com/id/

Upper left hand box:

http://melevsreef.com/id/flatworm.html

Marko9
09/24/2007, 12:30 AM
I am not 100%, but it just looks like a red flat worm. They are not a pest that will hurt your corals, but I have heard of their population expanding quickly.

Auntbeez
09/24/2007, 12:53 AM
Those were on one of the Zoa frags I got today. They came off when I FW dipped.
They have not gone in my tank. Should the FW dip have taken care of them or should I dip again with iodine? I am afraid to put anything I got today in the tank now... How long should stuff stay in the QT?

I do appreciate your help.

Marko9
09/24/2007, 01:05 AM
Those are fine, but I do treat everything and I am very weary of getting things in "from the wild". I only know one local store that treats his corals like I would. I am also very hestiant of getting corals from people that I have not seen their tanks.

QT is a personal thing. I have one, but it is mostly a softie grow out tank. I would do a lugols dip for softies and if you have one, keep the zoas in QT until they open up. What is a couple days? My. $02

bobbyblank
09/24/2007, 02:16 AM
dont mean to hijack or anything, but i was curious about the logols dip. does anyone do a DIY logols dip? I have a bottle of Kents Iodine in my garage and was wondering if anyone used it in there own dip.... and if so...what ratio?

Reefugee
09/24/2007, 09:48 AM
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=2339.0

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10830266#post10830266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bobbyblank
dont mean to hijack or anything, but i was curious about the logols dip. does anyone do a DIY logols dip? I have a bottle of Kents Iodine in my garage and was wondering if anyone used it in there own dip.... and if so...what ratio?

bobbyblank
09/24/2007, 10:23 AM
thanks!

Justin74
09/24/2007, 10:28 AM
I think the "myth" involving Lugols iodine is perpetuating into a major monster!

If the coral doesnt have a bacterial infection, it's not going to help heal it. Iodine merely disinfects an otherwise infected coral so that it may heal itself and not be overrun by the infection.

Ive tried lugols in dips many times for various reasons from provalactic, to seriously trying to fight infection. I have never been able to contribute ANY success to the iodine. While on the other hand freshwater dips with tank matched pH HAS provided me with fish survival, and mantis and snappin shrimp were rid from my substrate.

I will never recommend Lugols. Any positive results have been sporatic at best and unsubstantiated by anything I have read and heard from the pros, in fact more pros say just dont use it.

-Justin

Justin74
09/24/2007, 10:35 AM
Btw, GREAT EYE and good job Auntbeez! That evil critter has slipped by even the most experienced sps'r before, and by no means easy to spot. You really saved yourself a major headache along with other reefers by breaking the chain!

-Justin

Marko9
09/24/2007, 10:36 AM
Agreed. I do not use lugols but to see any critters that may be "knocked off" in a new purchase. I use stuff with a little more punch. ;)

This is part of the hobby that up to each individual reefer, but too many people just want to put things in their display because they looked good at the store.

dots
09/24/2007, 09:29 PM
Ahead of the game I would say, excellent job!!

bored4long
09/24/2007, 09:44 PM
I was looking for Hydrogen Peroxide on Saturday at Walmart and noticed Povidone Iodine (10%) on the shelf next to it so picked up a bottle. I had read the BAR thread linked above and figured it was worth getting just in case...