PDA

View Full Version : I got the Blue Bulb Blues

reefer1024
09/23/2007, 03:04 PM
I recently got my first metal halide setup, a 150 watt Aquamedic. I bought an Iwasaki 50,000k bulb. I am not very happy with the bulb it is not nearly as blue as I thought it would be. When I first light it up it will be the perfect color, but as it heats up it will turn white with the slightest purplish/blue hue. The bulb tends to exaggerate anything orange in my tank and make the tank look like it has a slight orange tint.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/reefer1024/DSC00806-1.jpg
I am wondering if this is because the magnetic ballast is overdriveing the bulb. Maybe the bulb just needs more time to break in its only about a week and a half old. Will it get bluer as it ages?

I don't have room for actinic lights on my tank so I need a really blue bulb. Can anyone suggest a very blue bulb that works well on a magnetic ballast without actinics?

Thanks for you help

DarG
09/23/2007, 03:15 PM
DE version or SE? I have run the DE version on magentic HQI ballast. Bulb got "bluer" with break in. That's still my favorite bulb and the only 150 watt DE I have. It wont actually get bluer like a blue bulb but more of an actinic purple-blue. But give it a full 100 + hours before deciding whether you like it or not. That bulb doesnt need actinics after it's broken in. But you may want a bluer bulb when all is said and done. That bulb has a good deal of energy in the 400 - 420 range. You may end up wanting a bulb with more energy in the actual "blue" 450 - 470 nm range. The Iwasaki 50000K is a bit unique in it's color compared to the rest of the "blue" bulbs.

reefer1024
09/23/2007, 04:53 PM
Well said DarG. Mine is DE. I think thats the only way it comes. I bought it specifically for that 420 peak you speak of, but after seeing it I think I would like a bluer bulb. I'll give it another week or 2 before I decide to keep it or not. Thanks for your help.

DarG
09/23/2007, 05:22 PM
They do have a 150 watt SE version.

reefer1024
09/29/2007, 05:54 PM
I gave it another week, but the color is still not what I am looking for nor does it seem to be getting better. I managed to buy a used 6 month old XM20k from a local reefer for really cheap. The color of the XM20k is just what I'm looking for. The problem is that the par of the XM is horrible. I am looking to buy a bulb with color like the XM20k, but with more par. The radium has double the par and I hear it is very blue, but I have never seen it myself.

Has anyone compared the look of the XM20k to Radium on a magnetic ballast? How would you discribe the Radium on a magnetic ballast? Does anyone have any other suggestions for a nice blue bulb with good par? I should add that I don't have room for actinics so I need a bulb that looks good on its own.

Thanks for your help.

Lagger
09/29/2007, 07:22 PM
I suggest trying the Phoenix. It's what I used when I ran 150de w/ no supplementation. If your thinking about going Radium, make sure you have an HQI M80 ballast as a regular mag ballast wont cut it. Havent seen the 150 de Radium personally, but the 250 se's look very nice. GL :thumbsup:

reefer1024
09/29/2007, 10:36 PM
Hey Lagger, Those frags I got from u look really nice under the XM20k. Thanks again.

I am not sure how to tell if I have an HQI M80 ballast or not. I'm a noob to halides, would you mind explaining the differences between a M80 and a regular magnetic ballast(I thought they were the same thing). The only writing I could make out on my ballast was 120V~60Hz 180w Class 1. Does that tell you anything? I think there may be more writing inside but I would have to unscrew the cover to see it, not a good idea wile the light is on.

I thought about getting the Phoenix, but some people say it isn't very blue on a magnetic ballast. What are your thoughts on this? I would love to hear more peoples opinions. Speak up folks.

Thanks for your help everyone

reefer1024
09/30/2007, 02:28 PM
bump help please

reefer1024
10/01/2007, 03:10 PM
bump!

oct2274
10/01/2007, 03:52 PM
go with the radium 150 DE,it has more par than the phoenix on a mag ballast if I can remember right and close to the same as phoenix on electronic ballast.

reefer1024
10/01/2007, 05:18 PM
Oct2274 the Radium is my first choice. I just want to make sure I get something that I will like before I spend another $90+shipping on a bulb. My reef is already 700% over budget.

Lagger's post has me a little worried. I am not sure what makes a ballast HQI vs. just magnetic. 1 webpage list my ballast as HQI and several others just list it as just a magnetic ballast. I cant find the words HQI M80 anywhere on my ballast. Will the bulb not fire on a standard magnetic or just not look good? I'm confused somebody please explain this to me.

Thanks
Brent

DarG
10/01/2007, 05:37 PM
The HQI Magnetic ballast is a pulse start ballast, it has a coil, core and ignitor, just like a regular magnetic pulse start ballast. The difference is that the HQI is a higher output ballast because the DE bulbs are designed to run at higher wattages that SE pulse start bulbs.
There is also a Probe start magnetic made to run bulbs with their own built in ignitiors so probe start ballasts dont have ignitors like pulse starts and HQI's do.

I dont know the whys or any of the more technical stuff. Just the basic differences courtesy of the Metal Halide FAQ sticky right here at the top of the page.

If the ballast came with the Aquamedic pendant or fixture it probably is an HQI magnetic and not a regular pulse start.

reefer1024
10/01/2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks DarG. You have been very helpful. I feel kinda stupid for not seeing that sticky. I spent a good 2 hours searching and it was right in front of me the whole time. Don't worry I was searching at work so I got paid for it. :D

If nobody objects I'll place the order for the Radium tomorrow. Does anyone know where I can find it cheaper then $89?

Thanks for your help everyone.
-Brent

DarG
10/01/2007, 06:03 PM
Glad to help and I'm sorry the EYE 50000K didnt work out for you.

reefer1024
10/01/2007, 06:19 PM
No worries. Your description was pretty accurate. I just didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Different strokes for different folks.

Keep on rockin!
-Brent