PDA

View Full Version : new to sw

dvlax40
09/21/2007, 11:25 PM
ok i am new to this but have been readding about nanos for quite some time, my question is , do any of the stores in the valley sell the current usa nova extreme x2T5HO light ? also any pointers or people who live near awahtukee that wanna help, it would be very appericiated. im excited to get into reef keeping, i gew up near the ocean, and decided if i cantget back to the ocean ill bring it to me haha

JMCAquarium
09/21/2007, 11:39 PM
Welcome and hope to see you at the meeting that would be the best way to learn and meet people. As your ready you can let everyone know and you can get some freebies or frags cheap to start up your nano. I'll hook u up with shrooms
Jonathan

jasonh
09/21/2007, 11:53 PM
Jonathan,

can you hook me up with some shrooms? :)

dvlax40
09/21/2007, 11:54 PM
wow thats realiy nice, thank you , yeah i have everything pretty much but the light an the LR/LS, but after reading some horror stories about cyano im thinking about getting another power head.. is there such a thing as too much flow? my tank is a 10G and my power head flows like 245gph.

wilson0204
09/22/2007, 01:44 AM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t64/wilson0204/133377RC_welcome1.gif
To Reef Central

JMCAquarium
09/22/2007, 02:52 AM
NEVER CAN HAVE TO MUCH FLOW. But your corals have to be able to take it if to hard or fast the corals with withdraw and never come out and or die. (Example I had colony of brown zoo's at least 150-200 heads one of my powerheads upset my tang and he battled it during the night aiming it right at my zoo's in the morning I only had about 75 left stuck to the rock the others were torn from there perch and were floating about in clumps.)
Pluses to this I now have like 15 colonies of brown zoo's all over the tank.
Neg. to this I lost my center peice coral a beautiful covering of zoo's. now they are growing back but not as full and pretty looking as they once were.

JMCAquarium
09/22/2007, 03:02 AM
You'll need to ask others about hard corals, brains, plates, and all that jazz I just deal with softy stuff for the most part. softy in general don't like alot of current becuase they can be torn open or torn from there perch.
All newbs get a freebie shroom any color except my Big reds and True blues they are rare shrooms to hard to get ahold of and they are $10 a head once I get my other colony back up to 7+. PM me with your E-mail address for pics of what I have all my shrooms will come mounted to rubble rock so there is a two week wait for them. As I will not sell/give out a weak or unhealthy animal depending on the color I may have it mounted.

azrednex
09/22/2007, 09:15 AM
dvlax40, If you need a light + LS and LR you should definatly check out azseabottoms
4909 E Chandler Blvd Suite 504

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=4909+E+Chandler+Blvd+phoenix%2C+az+85048

Take I-10 to Chandler Blvd.
Head West on Chandler Blvd
Turn Left into the Wendy's / Discount Tire Shopping Center.
Located between the Nail Salon, and Barber Shop In the Middle of the complex with Fogo E Brasa and Hong Kong Gourment..Suite # 504

dvlax40
09/22/2007, 12:48 PM
yeah i went to azseabottoms, that place rocks! deffinantly getting my live rock from them, but all the guy had was a 280$ 150watt MH light, that is too much light imo. i only plan on doing soft corals and maybe one lps, also i dont want to deal with the heat the MH produce, thats why i want to go T5HO

azmarine
09/22/2007, 02:52 PM
I was just in there, and he said he could get any light I wanted.

They're new, so they're still working on stocking up from what I could tell.

JMCAquarium
09/22/2007, 03:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10819533#post10819533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by azrednex
dvlax40, If you need a light + LS and LR you should definatly check out azseabottoms
4909 E Chandler Blvd Suite 504

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=4909+E+Chandler+Blvd+phoenix%2C+az+85048

Take I-10 to Chandler Blvd.
Head West on Chandler Blvd
Turn Left into the Wendy's / Discount Tire Shopping Center.
Located between the Nail Salon, and Barber Shop In the Middle of the complex with Fogo E Brasa and Hong Kong Gourment..Suite # 504

I second that AZseabttom seems to be as good or better then ordering online and I'm sure it will only get better as he becomes more popular and is able to order larger shippments of bulk items

Heads up with LR peeps been buying LR from him saying he has Glass anenomes so treat the rock before putting in ya tank. Otherwise ya good to go

dvlax40
09/22/2007, 04:03 PM
glass anenomes??

azrednex
09/22/2007, 07:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10821121#post10821121 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JMCAquarium
I second that AZseabttom seems to be as good or better then ordering online and I'm sure it will only get better as he becomes more popular and is able to order larger shippments of bulk items

Heads up with LR peeps been buying LR from him saying he has Glass anenomes so treat the rock before putting in ya tank. Otherwise ya good to go

I've bought quite a bit of rock from Azseabottoms and I haven't gotten any pest from it.

JMCAquarium
09/23/2007, 02:50 AM
A couple posts with in the last two weeks that have stated having a couple anenomes on them. Didn't say all the rock had it. Just giving a heads up on what others have said in the past. Could have been just a that shipment.

Glass Anenome = Aiptasia

jasonh
09/23/2007, 03:21 AM
I had a couple aiptasia on one of the rocks I got from him, not all. It looks like it was from a hobbyist's tank, since there is remnants of the white epoxy stuff on it.

KRASHPD
09/23/2007, 09:32 AM
Any live rock has a chance to have pests on it. Paul does clean the rock he gets in but there is no perfect cleaning process. He did get some of the rock when Ocean Art closed down so you might have got some of that Jason. That rock was pretty nice with some of it having plenty of corraline already.

jasonh
09/23/2007, 11:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10825057#post10825057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KRASHPD
Any live rock has a chance to have pests on it. Paul does clean the rock he gets in but there is no perfect cleaning process. He did get some of the rock when Ocean Art closed down so you might have got some of that Jason. That rock was pretty nice with some of it having plenty of corraline already.

Yes I know Paul cleans his rock. And yes, ANY rock has a chance for pests. It's just something to be on the lookout for.

One of my rock pieces had lots of coraline on it already. Probably one of those you mentioned :) Too bad since it's a new tank, some is starting to die off :(