PDA

View Full Version : S. Haddoni might be in trouble

Shia
10/16/2002, 05:27 PM
Hello Dr. Ron,

I have had a 15in. green S. Haddoni anemone for over a year now. These last 2 days it has been keeping the white part of its mouth out of the pink opening. It still eats very quickly. The only thing I have done is fead it a little bit more this week. Could this have caused it to act like this?

rshimek
10/16/2002, 05:37 PM
Hi,

It is probably fine. Just watch it carefully, if this behavior continues, it may be an indication of some other problems.

Shia
10/16/2002, 06:08 PM
Well as I am writing this the anemone has 75% of it back inside of the pink opening. I hope this is the last I see of this.

Shia
10/19/2002, 12:55 PM
Dr. Ron this happened again last night. I looked like it was turning inside out because the majority of they white stomach was outside. I did a big water change and this morning the stomach is still out but not as much.

Have you heard of this before?

Could you tell me what I should do?

rshimek
10/19/2002, 03:20 PM
Hi,

The only times I have heard of this behaviour continuing, the animal has died.

You said you have had it for about a year.

Has it been eating regularly?

Are there any other anemones in the tank with it? If there are it may have gotten stung. This can be lethal.

In some reported cases this appears to be related to water chemistry changes.

Have you changed the water chemistry lately?
Have you done any painting or refinishing work in the house? Sprayed or used pesticides? Any outside spraying?

Keep watching the animal, but I suspect it will not recover.

Sorry. :(

Shia
10/19/2002, 06:40 PM
Their was a horrible grease fire in my house that filled the room with blackening smoke. Do you think this could have caused it, if so what can I do?

Shia
10/19/2002, 06:48 PM
I forgot to mention that today the anemone ate the same amount it usually does at the same speed.

rshimek
10/20/2002, 11:54 AM
Hi,

The fire could have certainly added chemicals to the tank that caused the problem. If so, about the only thing you could do would be water changes, and possibly carbon filtration.

If the animal is eating that is a good sign. That may mean the stimulus causing the eversion is being moderated or diminished.

Let's hope so!

Good luck! :D

Shia
10/20/2002, 04:56 PM
This morning the stomach was hanging out like the last 2-3 days. I left for my ACT class, and when I got back the entire stomach was back inside the mouth:).
The only negative sign is that the mouth is open but atleast the stomach is not hanging out.