PDA

View Full Version : Need Lighting Opinions

pmathy
10/16/2002, 09:34 AM
Hi,

I am in the process of setting up (slowly) a 25 gallon-tall tank as a seahorse tank. So far I have a 3" sand bed using sugar-fine aragonite and 35 pounds of Figi LR. I seeded the sand with some live sand from the LFS and from the refugium from my 6 month old reef tank. I am using a Prizm skimmer. I also have a Penguin filter without any media to produce additional water movement and I have put some LR rubble in there hoping to get some pods so this is like a mini-refugium. I also have another small power head in the tank.

I would like to keep mostly macros of various colors, and possibly a few low-light corals in this tank along with the sea horses. (Just an aside--I was very happy to find out this weekend that one of the local LFS carries only captive-bread horses so I will be getting them there when the tank has matured). My husband is building a hood for me so I will be able to use some type of retro-fit lighting system. I need suggestions on what to use for lighting. I want something that will provide enough light to keep the macro going but not be a big heat producer. Keeping the cost reasonable would also be a plus. I would be willing to try a DIY set up if the directions are clear. Also any links for recommended off-the-shelf systems would would be great!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Pam

pmathy
10/16/2002, 10:21 AM
-bump-

stealyourhouse
10/16/2002, 10:27 AM
Well, I think your two choices would be either Power Compacts or VHO.

If you're concerned with price, go with the power compacts. You can pick up very cheap DIY kits from www.ahsupply.com (http://www.ahsupply.com)

Frick-n-Frags
10/16/2002, 02:32 PM
Those Walmart/LOA flourescent shoplamps are a cool white 65w PC that grow macroalgae just fine. Maybe two of them would fit under a hood. I also kept Pocillapora damicornis under one for 11 months and it easily quadrupled in size in that time, so there seems to be adequate spectrum for at least some corals. They are $25. I would also recommend to vent the ballast housing and lose the faceplate to increase air circulation to the ballast for longer life if you do try them.