PDA

View Full Version : Coralife Super Skimmer 65

baotchi
09/17/2007, 09:45 PM
Hi there everyone

it's been a long time since I came here. I had to put reefkeeping aside for a while and I sold tank and equipment last year.

I had a Coralife Super Skimmer 65 and I was very satisfied with it, never failed and always produced a thick and dark skimmate.

When I dismantled my tank I sold it to my ex-girlfriend but never installed it, until last week.

And now I have a problem with it that I never had before. The white foam rises too high in the tube, and overflows in the cup where the skimmate should be. It's like the water level is too high in the tube, even with the ajustment knob set to the lowest level.

It has the included RIO pump with the needle wheel. (that was included with the skimmer)

I don't know what's wrong with it, and it's been so long since I tinkered with that I just don't know what to do.

What can be the cause of that?

I thank you for your help guys

Simon

RADIOACTIVCORAL
09/17/2007, 09:53 PM
Are you using any water treatments? AquaClear will make the skimmer run over. I have the same skimmer and everytime I topoff it runs over. I have not tried others but I am sure they will do the same.

Almondsaz
09/17/2007, 09:55 PM
Simon: if the skimmer has been "dry" for some time it may require another break in time. On my old Coralife Super Skimmer 65 I had to fiddle with the adjustment knob for the first week or so and then it was great! In the begining you need to make small adjustments and let them level out before you adjust further IMO/E.

mccrat
09/17/2007, 10:04 PM
Mine used to do that when the air intake was clogged. Don't know how well you cleaned it when you started it back up again but there are two spots that seem to build up.
1) The small air outlet on the pipe that sends the water back into the tank
2) The small air inlet on the pump...where the air hose connects to it.

baotchi
09/17/2007, 10:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10787963#post10787963 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RADIOACTIVCORAL
Are you using any water treatments? AquaClear will make the skimmer run over. I have the same skimmer and everytime I topoff it runs over. I have not tried others but I am sure they will do the same.

Good call, but no treatment at all, thanks for the input

baotchi
09/17/2007, 10:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10787982#post10787982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Almondsaz
Simon: if the skimmer has been "dry" for some time it may require another break in time. On my old Coralife Super Skimmer 65 I had to fiddle with the adjustment knob for the first week or so and then it was great! In the begining you need to make small adjustments and let them level out before you adjust further IMO/E.

It's been running for a little more than a week, and still overflows as much as it did when I installed it.

baotchi
09/17/2007, 10:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10788052#post10788052 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mccrat
Mine used to do that when the air intake was clogged. Don't know how well you cleaned it when you started it back up again but there are two spots that seem to build up.
1) The small air outlet on the pipe that sends the water back into the tank
2) The small air inlet on the pump...where the air hose connects to it.

So far this is the most plausible cause. I cleaned everything well but maybe there is something left somewhere.

I'll look it up again tomorrow and hope this fixes the problem.

thanks!

snulma1
09/18/2007, 09:57 AM
In between the pump and the skimmer body is a knob. This knob should be closed half way (Turn so the knob runs from 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock). Then adjust using the red valve on the top for the next 2 weeks or so, once its done breaking in you can open the other knob all the way (straight up and down).

That should help. If you are missing that knob after the pump you need to get a new one, otherwise your skimmer will flood after each time you clean it.

mikedp
09/18/2007, 11:03 AM
How deep below the waters surface is the pump. Sometimes I have found moving it closer to the surface will help with this problem. Also make sure Red knob on top is all the way open

flyguy7150
09/18/2007, 12:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10790627#post10790627 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikedp
How deep below the waters surface is the pump. Sometimes I have found moving it closer to the surface will help with this problem. Also make sure Red knob on top is all the way open
This was the problem i had too, raised the pump so it was closer to the surface and it was much better.

papagimp
09/18/2007, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10790233#post10790233 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snulma1
In between the pump and the skimmer body is a knob.

This was my first thought. Iknow alot of people remove the valve from the unit after it's broken in some to improve performance. STill have the valve in place?

baotchi
09/18/2007, 01:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10790233#post10790233 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snulma1
In between the pump and the skimmer body is a knob. This knob should be closed half way (Turn so the knob runs from 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock). Then adjust using the red valve on the top for the next 2 weeks or so, once its done breaking in you can open the other knob all the way (straight up and down).

That should help. If you are missing that knob after the pump you need to get a new one, otherwise your skimmer will flood after each time you clean it.

Not sure about that knob between the pump and body... I know I did not loose any part, I don't know what you are talking about. A picture may help.

baotchi
09/18/2007, 01:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10790627#post10790627 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikedp

Wow that sounds good also, I'll add that to my check list. I am going to see the skimmer tonight, it's a sushi bar near from where I work, I'll stop by and check the air inlets clogging and the pump deepness.

Thanks guys this site is just as awesome as it's users.

baotchi
09/18/2007, 01:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10791120#post10791120 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by papagimp
Still have the valve in place?

Don't know what valve you are talking about

baotchi
09/18/2007, 04:20 PM
Problem fixed!!

I unclogged the air intake at the top of the tube where the waters exits the skimmer, it was clogged but unclogging it didn't fix the problem by itself. I shortened the tube that goes from the pump to the skimmer by 2" and then it works.

thanks alot again

Simon

papagimp
09/18/2007, 04:54 PM
fwiw, the tube between that pump and skimmer should have what looks like a ball valve there. A grey colored one. If you don't know what we're talking about, it's probably not there, cause it does kinda stick out like a sore thumb.

mikedp
09/18/2007, 05:15 PM
hmmm....I thought i posted the same thing papgimp, but looks like i didnt, well said for sure.

jquailus
09/18/2007, 07:28 PM
how far below the water line is the return, i had problems with mine so i cut the flex black tubing so it is right below the water level, now no more problems

mikedp
09/19/2007, 08:33 AM
I agree I did the same.