PDA

View Full Version : Need help with aggresive fish

Phatty42081
09/15/2007, 07:51 PM
hey guys i just got to firefish and they are so cool. the problem is i hqave a christmas wrasse that i have had for 1 1/2 years or so and he is being super aggesive towards them. what should i do? will it make a difference if i take the wrasse out for a day or 2 and then put him back in or is he still going to go after them. he has never been realy aggresive before the only other fish he used to bother was my scooter blenny which died some time ago, and even them was never this bad. he keeps charging them and raising his top fin whenever he is by them. any suggestions welcome thanks

Victor1046
09/15/2007, 08:27 PM
I found this chart on Dr. Foster and Smith and it says that
these two types of fish can co exist however, with caution

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

I would sure give it try (taking him out for a day or so and putting
him back)

Good luck

capn_hylinur
09/15/2007, 09:43 PM
the wrasse should get over it---is it just charging or is it actually doing damage to fins etc.
The problem to watch for is if the firefish will eat in this situation---you may have to remove them to a quarantine tank where you can lessen the stress and get them eating--then reintroduce.

Sk8r
09/15/2007, 09:58 PM
Depends, too, on relative size. The wrasse thinks the whole tank is his. That's going to be a hard opinion to change. Taking him out and moving a few rocks before putting him back in might help.

Caution, too: harassed firefish go airborne to escape. Carpet surfing highly likely here.

demonsp
09/15/2007, 10:04 PM
adding new stock always risky. Turn lights off for a day and MB move a few rocks around. They are just working out the pecking order and MAY be fine. Alway use caution with adding new stock.

Gem Tang Rider
09/15/2007, 10:10 PM
Wrasses like tangs respond well to a mirror hung on the side of the tank. They see themselves as a major threat instead of the new fish. After a few days the mirror can usually come down.

Phatty42081
09/16/2007, 10:34 AM
fist off Sk8r the carpet surfing happened within 2 minutes of them being in the tank. one jumped, but i got him back in. he is actualy the one that i think will make it. the good news is that the wrasse seems to be less aggessive towards one of the firefish, the other firefish keeps hiding, and when he pops out gets itimidated by the wrasse, i am going to try the mirror thing, thanks prugs. catching him is going to be a pain in the you know what. thanks for all the help. i will let you know how it turns out

Sk8r
09/16/2007, 10:40 AM
brilliant, prugs.

phatty, you're rapidly, in this thread, building a repertoire of things you can try managing aggression in a tank. I'm always bemused by the classification of fish into aggressive/peaceful/community...because you'll find those firefish, in the absence of the wrasse, would go after each other until one is dead. I think the classification ought to be by mouth size. Anything that can go down anything else's gullet probably will. And many fish that won't aggress against other species will go for the gills when it comes to a rival of their own kind: mandarins are the most non-territorial, oblivious fish you could ask for, simply out in the ozone peaceful...unless they see another mandarin, in which case the rival will die by morning, no matter its relative size.

capn_hylinur
09/16/2007, 12:08 PM
this is why all fish should go to a quarantine tank first----getting them feeding properly in a non stressful envirnoment then introduce them to the main tank.

capn_hylinur
09/16/2007, 12:11 PM
I think is still a judgement call
I had a coral beauty destroy a flame angel over night (it was a crap shoot and I lost this one)
My yellow tang went after a sailfin tang for about a week--but it was only push and shove and probably a few fish f* words. Now they are fine together.

capn_hylinur
09/16/2007, 12:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10774816#post10774816 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by prugs
Wrasses like tangs respond well to a mirror hung on the side of the tank. They see themselves as a major threat instead of the new fish. After a few days the mirror can usually come down.

great idea --I can buy that too----same things happens to me each morning when I look in the mirror LOL

Phatty42081
09/16/2007, 03:04 PM
well feeding is not realy the problem.... that is when the wrasse leaves them alone he is to interested in eating himself, he is quite the pig. one of the firefish eats like a pig aswell the other is to scared of the wrasse and just keeps hiding i see him for a second them he is gone. i just picked up a mirror though so i will let you all know how it comes out. crossing my fingers

Phatty42081
09/17/2007, 01:54 PM
so far so good. the wrasse is very preocupied with his reflection. he has not bother the firefish since i have put it up, also the second firefish is now coming out to eat. to be honest i think they are a male female pair, reson being they are not fighting instead the are working together, the brave one actually goes into the hole the littler one is in and tries to get the little one to come out it is realy cool to watch. i can almost hear him saying come on the cost is clear time to eat. LOL