PDA

View Full Version : Lowe's vacuum hose

deguello
10/14/2002, 04:07 PM
I was just at Lowe's getting parts for my new refugium/sump. I noticed that they have "vacuum/spa/pool" tubing where the rest of the water tubing is. The clerk could not tell me if it was potable safe or not. Anyone have a clue whether this stuff is safe to use for an aquarium? It looks very much like the ridged hose that came with my original wet/dry and it would sure make my protein skimmer setup more flexible than if I pipe it in with hard PVC.

One more question while I am at it. If I wind using the hard PVC that I bought. How long do I have to let the primer and glue dry before its safe to fire up the new sump?

Thanks to anyone who can help. I am not in a huge hurry, but my PS is down until I get this thing going so I am anxious. I am waiting until my new Iwaki 55 arrives tomorrow before I buy the rest of the tubing/pipe so that I can be sure it all fits where I need it to. I had originally planned to use flexible hose everywhere. I now want to use hard PVC coming out of the sump and into the new inline pump with flex going out of the pump and to the PS.

Thanks again to all for your help.

deg

GROSSR
10/14/2002, 04:18 PM
You really need to contact the mfgr. Could you use it, yes. I used a similar item for my skimmer. It works great. All it is is a tube. Will it break down, I don't know, does it leach, I don't know.

However, if you look at USPLASTICS.COM they have items that are certified as NSF and FDA Food compliant. Guess what, they are 4 - 5 times as costly, sometimes more.

As far as the hard stuff. I let mine dry about 1 minute. Try twisting it after 2-3 minutes.

I usually wait about 5 minutes to be sure. I did my aquarium and a complete home sprinkler system this way.

marm64
10/14/2002, 08:36 PM
Just becasue something is not safe for potable water does not mean that it is going to leach or come apart. It just means that the manufacture went to the trouble to get it certified. I would think that most tubings would not come apart and there is probably not a lot that is going to leach out. I would run the system with the tubing hooked up and clean out the lines before I ever used it in my system.

Christian Schwalm
10/15/2002, 01:41 PM
What size (diameter and length) vacuum hoses does Lowes carry. How much do they cost?

Christian Schwalm
SkyLab Industries
www.wetdryfilter.com

deguello
10/16/2002, 02:38 AM
I believe the stuff I was lookin at was 1.5" but I wound up buying flex PVC that was 1.25", as far as cost it was around 3 bucks a foot. Go check it out.

BTW, I just bought one of your refugiums and my mag 7 wont fit inside the return area, it only needs a .25 inch or so and it would slide right in. Any ideas???

Christian Schwalm
10/16/2002, 11:17 AM
deguello,

Check your pm.

Christian Schwalm
SkyLab Indutries
www.wetdryfilter.com