PDA

View Full Version : hydro electric

lifesworksataol
09/12/2007, 08:06 PM
i was wondering if anyone has set up there return pump to a generator to make up for some of the power consumption that it uses?
make some sort of water wheel. i mean we use the pumps anyways so why not use the water pressure. i have a used generator that has a bad carb and want to try it. just wanted to see what people thought about pros and cons of doing this or if anyone has tried it.

thor32766
09/12/2007, 08:10 PM
I had someone at dinner mention this tonight! Thats crazy!!!

MIKE ALERS
09/12/2007, 09:06 PM
maybe i could harness some of that power to recharge my laptop since i'm always on reef central.:D

WingnutSr
09/12/2007, 09:28 PM
My first thought was there would not be a strong or fast enough flow to turn enough RPM's for this to work. But then again, I am not a hydro- electric engineer either.

lifesworksataol
09/12/2007, 09:30 PM
hehe - i was also talking to my brother and he came up with the idea of useing something like a big bio wheel on the down pipe and it could aid in filtering the water as well as give some power to make up for the pump

dugg
09/12/2007, 09:34 PM
I would think that the increased resistance in the line would require a bigger than normal pump, and would use more extra electricity for the pump then it would produce.

WingnutSr
09/12/2007, 09:35 PM
Here is another idea, on the sameline of thinking......
Most of us are running fans, right?
Install a wind powered generator after the fan!

lifesworksataol
09/12/2007, 09:39 PM
sounds pretty good - i wonder how much wind it would take

namwodahs
09/12/2007, 09:50 PM
I don't think you'd regain as much power by putting it after the return pump as you'd lose by added resistance. But I think if you put it in your drain pipe, it'd be effective, assuming your drain pipe can drain faster than your pump can return + the resistance provided by the generator. Cool idea.

smpolyp
09/13/2007, 10:29 PM
Wow I thought I was the only one to think of this. It would work from what I see on a limited basis. It would need to be on a tank with a high turnover and provide a small power source for the tank.
New buildings designs are now begining to look at "proper power use"(that's what I call it).
I would say the same should be done for us. We have come so far. Just look at my #1 pick is hydor #4 power head 13 watt for 1200 gph. Every tank is different on it's demand so look for quality and energy saving on all your choices.

davy182
09/15/2007, 08:55 PM
why not hook up an altenator to a bike and electrify the rotor and pedal up a storm for electricy. You get a work out and electricity.

BoricuaMojao
09/17/2007, 09:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10754890#post10754890 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by namwodahs
I don't think you'd regain as much power by putting it after the return pump as you'd lose by added resistance. But I think if you put it in your drain pipe, it'd be effective, assuming your drain pipe can drain faster than your pump can return + the resistance provided by the generator. Cool idea.

This is the only way it would work, on your drain. That potential energy on the water falling is not used significantly in the aquarium. It is the same principle used in hydroelectric dams. Potential energy converted to mechanical with the turbine, which turns a generator for electrical.

On the other hand, any of the other suggestions simply violate the laws of thermodinamics.

You are using energy to move your water up with the return pump. If you use any of that energy to rotate a generator, you will need more energy to move the water in the first place.

There are some microturbines that are used in water drain applications. Do a google search, they are out there.

BM

namwodahs
09/17/2007, 11:42 AM
If you were to put a centrifugal pump (like a Dart or something) inline on your drain, would it be able to generate electricity or do you need a turbine specifically to do this?

BoricuaMojao
09/17/2007, 12:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10783487#post10783487 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by namwodahs
If you were to put a centrifugal pump (like a Dart or something) inline on your drain, would it be able to generate electricity or do you need a turbine specifically to do this?

I doubt it would be optimal but not imposible.

Speaking in broad terms, You can turn an electric motor into a generator, energy simply flows in the oposite direction.

It would probably be like using a car engine for a portable generator, it can be done, but it's not the right tool for the job.

BM

cschweitzer
09/17/2007, 01:15 PM
Let's put solar panels on the sides of the tank so that the waste light produces output electricity:). Or instead of a painted background, just a solar panel(also gives good reflective properties).

lifesworksataol
09/17/2007, 05:14 PM
thats a great idea man = there are so many different ways to use the energy we waste

smpolyp
09/19/2007, 07:26 AM
I would say your best way to save on electricity would be to set up the tank with efficient compnents. The biggest way I have found is using low wattage pumps. Limit your water turn over time to about 5 times through the sump and use prop pumps for your main flow. The Koralia pumps are the best I have found for this. About 1 watt per 100 gals. This pump is so efficient I have it for my hurricane emergency plan. Next limit your lighting to what your corals really need. You do not need those 400 watt lights in a shallow tank for Montipora.

From what I have found out of all the methods of making energy the most effecient (that you can buy) is a turbine.

This would be the best energy machine to date. http://www.josephnewman.com/ I'm not 100% sure it works, but many scientist do. If he were in it for money he would have taken the 200 million offerd by the Canadian gov. There has to be something said for that!

cowboyswife
09/19/2007, 07:35 AM
As soon as I saw this thread, I immediately thought of powering something with a hamster running in a wheel. lol :D