PDA

View Full Version : best live rock

frags75
09/09/2007, 10:27 PM
I'm sure this has been asked hundreds of times but now it is my turn. I am looking for some new live rock for my new tank. I want to start out with about 50 lbs. I am wondering who you guys recommend. I have been looking at exotic fish or ocean pro aquatics? maybe marine depot? Any thoughts or other ideas? thanks and keep on reefn.

mokeyz
09/09/2007, 11:47 PM
I got mine from SaltwaterFish.com and it's great rock - lots of good stuff has been showing up since June when I started my 8g biocube. They sell quality stuff.

Just my 2 cents.
marlene

George Grogan
09/09/2007, 11:52 PM
Premium Aquatics!!! Great rock!! I will be buying again!

kawicivic
09/10/2007, 08:48 AM
tampa bay saltwater is the best i have seen... if i could afford them then i would go with them (even though they have some crazy hitchhikers (some bad but some good)... i am trying to find some more info on Reeftopia but they have the best deal I have found so far, so I will probably go with them

shootist
09/10/2007, 06:30 PM
I think you will do best ordering from the place closest to you,cutting down on the shipping time. Since you are only over in IL I would go with Premium Aquatics. I live right by PA and go in there once or twice a week,they have some really nice rock. Once you get your first batch cycled you may try and get some from established tanks in your area,really gets things going. If you are in eastern IL there is a wonderful place in Terra Haute,IN called Inland Aquatics,they are a bit pricey but their stock is top-notch,worth the trip over there just to check the place out. They have around 20,000 gallons I think,insane corals,many many pairs of breeding clowns,really cool place and highly knowlegable staff.

Pmolan
09/10/2007, 07:03 PM
craigslist... look for tank breakdowns.

zach0660
09/10/2007, 07:17 PM
frags75,

I don't know if youve ever heard of Petland, but the store in Omaha has some awesome LR, I believe it is called deco.

virginiadiver69
09/10/2007, 07:57 PM
No matter who you get it from I suggest either Marshal Island or Pukani. Both are much more porous/less dense.

Roger928
09/10/2007, 08:21 PM
Have used OceanProAquatics several times and have been really pleased.

tangafish
09/10/2007, 09:38 PM
tampa bay saltwater is by far the best in my opinion. It is like getting an instant reef when you order tbs. When you consider everything you get you get the most bang for your buck. check out their forum on reef central. shipping is quick and your rock is submerged under water so you are actually getting what you ordered- LIVE ROCK.

lancer99
09/12/2007, 10:26 AM
Tampa Bay Saltwater vs. Sea Life Inc....SL says (TB implies) that their rock has been underwater for at least 2 years. TB wants $5/lb, versus $3.50 for Sea Life, plus you have to pay for the water that TB ships.

Disclaimer: I haven't bought live rock from either of them, so I'm just speculating.

The best live rock I ever got was from Harbor Aquatics (R.I.P.....wish they were still around.) It was cured before shipping, but shipped DRY, wrapped in wet newspaper. In the end, I ended up with a shedload of zoanthids, all kinds of colonial tunicates, a Psammocora...and a hairy crab who finally succumbed to my jabs with sharpened coat hanger :)

-R

Jeremy Blaze
09/12/2007, 12:23 PM
Best I have seen is from Premium Aquatics as well.