PDA

View Full Version : Looking for infor on a couple of skimmers

snodine
09/07/2007, 09:21 PM
Does anyone have information/opinions on the following skimmers?

Austin Oceans Model 1000 Skimmer

AquaC EV-180

I am currently building my first reef aquarium. I plan on keeping mostly soft corals and an assortment of reef fish. As you may have guesses, the stocking plan is a work in progress right now.

The tank is 130 gallons (not drilled) and there will be a custom sump with 3 chambers. The first chamber will be where the overflow enters, separated by 3 baffles, a DSB, another 3 baffles, then the equipment chamber for the skimmer, heaters, return pump, etc.

I want to accumulate the majority of the equipment first before getting the sump constructed to ensure everything fits. The skimmer is the first major piece of equipment up for purchase after the tank and stand.

If anyone has other suggestions, please toss them out. I have been spending a lot of time doing research - I want to do it right, not fast.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and advice.

Steve

luke33
09/07/2007, 09:23 PM
Whats your budget bud

snodine
09/07/2007, 09:34 PM
While saying "price is not an object" just sounds like a brag and is also not true, I want to do the thing right. I am not looking for a 500 gallon monster (well, not yet anyway!) If I pay $300 for something that I have to replace later for $500 I'm out $300. If I have to wait an extra couple of months to get the right piece of gear the first time, I will.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks,

Steve

luke33
09/07/2007, 09:43 PM
I'd just get an octo 200. It'll be plenty for a 130g stock and if you ever wanted to meshmod it and boar out the venturi....then recirc it, it would be good for around a 225g or so. For 209 bux......you just can't beat it.

Napervegas
09/07/2007, 09:47 PM
stogie has a asm g3 for sale pm him, its would be nice for your setup, the aqua c needs alot of pump to run well.

luke33
09/07/2007, 09:52 PM
The octo 200 would kill the asm 3 and is much better built......

Lumamae
09/08/2007, 01:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10720191#post10720191 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snodine
The tank is 130 gallons (not drilled) and there will be a custom sump with 3 chambers. The first chamber will be where the overflow enters, separated by 3 baffles, a DSB, another 3 baffles, then the equipment chamber for the skimmer, heaters, return pump, etc.

I want to accumulate the majority of the equipment first before getting the sump constructed to ensure everything fits. The skimmer is the first major piece of equipment up for purchase after the tank and stand.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and advice.

Steve

I would suggest that you partition a section just for the skimmer, so the water level stays constant. If getting an in sump skimmer, this is probably one of the most important item that people miss. In sump skimmers do not perform well if the water level is not constant. If the skimmer must sit in the same section as the return pump or in a section where the water level is not constant, then an auto-topoff unit is a good option to keep the sump water level constant. So, planning for the right size skimmer section and a constant sump water level is your first important step.

Lumamae
09/08/2007, 01:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10720270#post10720270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snodine
While saying "price is not an object" just sounds like a brag and is also not true, I want to do the thing right. I am not looking for a 500 gallon monster (well, not yet anyway!) If I pay $300 for something that I have to replace later for $500 I'm out $300. If I have to wait an extra couple of months to get the right piece of gear the first time, I will.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks,

Steve

If you want something straight out of the box where you don't need to mod it to death, I've been doing a lot of reading on the ATi Bubblemaster skimmers. Either the BM160 for $459 or the BM200 for $549 would be an excellent match for your system, depending on your bioload and whether you might upgrade within the next year.

jtarmitage
09/08/2007, 02:44 AM
I currently own an Austin Oceans 3000 and an AquaC EV 120, for different tanks of course, and of the 2, the AO is the better choice. The problem with both is the constant fiddling with the gate valves or air intakes, and the energy hogs of pumps needed. Personally, I would recommend a decent needlewheel like the Octo. The $ you will save on a monthly basis, as well as the headaches avoided will be well worth it.

snodine
09/08/2007, 08:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10721489#post10721489 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lumamae

I would suggest that you partition a section just for the skimmer, so the water level stays constant. If getting an in sump skimmer, this is probably one of the most important item that people miss. In sump skimmers do not perform well if the water level is not constant. If the skimmer must sit in the same section as the return pump or in a section where the water level is not constant, then an auto-topoff unit is a good option to keep the sump water level constant. So, planning for the right size skimmer section and a constant sump water level is your first important step.

I have been struggling with a sump design for a while. I have a limited amount of space under the tank (70L x 13W x 25H) and am trying to accommodate as much as possible in this area. I have heard that when using a DSB the size should be 2/3 of the display tank. Well, this ain't gonna happen with the space I have. I want to make as large an area for the DSB as possible so the current design is 10" wide areas on either end with a 36" middle area. Each area separated by 3 baffles. This will leave a sump with dimensions of 60L x 13W x 18H. I worry that adding another separate area for the skimmer would make the DSB area too small to do a good job with filtration.

As mentioned earlier, I'm new at this and am in the research stage. Other than a used tank and stand, and a RO/DI unit no money has been spent.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Steve