PDA

View Full Version : Brown or Golden algea

Fefe_2
09/05/2007, 06:33 AM
Dear All,
I am having a lot of Brown algea in my tank now my qustions are:

1-is brown algea good for tank as it eats nitrates.
2-Should i remove algea from glass?

i only turn on the lights about 3 Hours a day Maximum.
your early reply will be very helpful.
Love
Rafaqat

Percula9
09/05/2007, 11:43 AM
If this is a new tank it's normal to get brown diatoms. It will go away. Check the nitrate level, this fuels the algae. Do some water changes.

RickySan
09/05/2007, 11:49 AM
how long have you had your tank running? Even with lights on for 3 hours a day...if you have been doing this for a few months your tank will start to develope golden brown algae. As perc said this normal and i will go away...if you dont like it invest in a cleaner crew (hermits) as far as the algae on the glass. i only scrape off algae on the front side of my tank i leave the back untouched and occasionaly clean the sides. goodluck

Fefe_2
09/07/2007, 01:34 AM
oh Thank you so much for the help,Tank has been running since last 5 months now,Though it is really looking very dirty. i m keeping the back glass untouched. i also have this huge dead coral this ditom is also covering all that. i have some snails very small they born by themselfe(i dont know how).. they clean a lil bit. but i should not worry about this???
also i needed to ask how to control temrature.. i cant afford chiller and the weather here goes wild in summers minimum is 33 C. i use to frezee plastic botels filed with water for my goldfish..any other way?