PDA

View Full Version : Would this tank be overstocked

mikuarium
09/04/2007, 12:10 AM
Hello my 55g tank just finished cycling and I was thinking of adding some fish. I already have a pair of clownfish. I was thinking about adding 4 chromis and a small yellow tang. Dont worry, I will remove the tang when it gets bigger. I also have 35 lbs of live rock and some inverts. Is this overstocked?

Mavrk
09/04/2007, 12:16 AM
Like you say, the tang is questionable in that size tank (I am debating one for my 90). If you do go this route, don't add all at once. I would add the chromis 2 at a time, then the tang later (if you must have the tang).

mikuarium
09/04/2007, 12:22 AM
Well I dont need a tang, but I would like a fish that is active and uses the entire tank unlike my clownfish who just huddle in the bottom back corner of the tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated

clarkiis
09/04/2007, 12:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10696836#post10696836 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikuarium
Well I dont need a tang, but I would like a fish that is active and uses the entire tank unlike my clownfish who just huddle in the bottom back corner of the tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Maybe a Dwarf Flame Angel? Grazes off the glass, rocks all day long. Mine seems to swim in and out of the rocks, but atleast it uses the whole tank. It does not stay in the open ALL the time like my yellow tang used to. I say used to cause he dissappered a few weeks ago and about 3 days later found him in the backyard. Must have jumped out and the dog took him away during the night.

Mavrk
09/04/2007, 12:33 AM
My chromis swim all over the tank (but they are the only fish in there). Dwarf flame angels are cool I had one in my old tank. So are dwarf coral beauties (never had one personally), but it all depends on what you want to keep in the future.

Gobies and blennies have personality and certain ones wlll show up all over your tank.

ahullsb
09/04/2007, 01:37 AM
You would be fine with those fish. IMO

Jocephus
09/04/2007, 05:47 AM
Had a yellow tang in a 55 for three years. He was fine. He did outgrow it though, but if ou can plan for a larger tank down the road, go for it.

rbtwo4
09/04/2007, 06:00 AM
Those dwarfs are no good if u have corals as they will pick on them.

clarkiis
09/04/2007, 10:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10697299#post10697299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rbtwo4

havn't had a problem yet with the flame angel, but again I dont have to many corals either to worry about, just a toadstool, colt coral, couple clams(which havnt been touched by the angel... YET), Zoas, mushrooms, candycane. ive only had the flame for 2 months so time will tell.

rickytikki
09/04/2007, 10:33 AM
My flame hasn't bothered anything, either. I would add all of the chromis at once; I know they are generally peaceful fish, but I would worry about introducing more fish to a school that already had an established pecking order. Then again they might be fine.

To answer your question, no, it would not be overstocked.

papagimp
09/04/2007, 10:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10697299#post10697299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rbtwo4

Would be more accurate to say that they MAY pick on them. Hardly a gaurantee that they will. Never had a bit of trouble with my last Coral Beauty.

rickytikki
09/04/2007, 11:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10698336#post10698336 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by papagimp
Would be more accurate to say that they MAY pick on them. Hardly a gaurantee that they will. Never had a bit of trouble with my last Coral Beauty.

I agree, it's definitely not a certainty that they will pick on anything. I've never had one mess with my corals, but I'm sure somebody else (somebody who probably doesn't have one) will tell you they have.