PDA

View Full Version : Chitons

craighmarshall
10/11/2002, 09:25 AM
I think I have found one in my tank. But what is it, what does it do and is it healthy for my tank? Also, where can I read up on this creature

Anemone
10/11/2002, 09:33 AM
Dr. Ron is not answering posts made on Thurdays or Fridays (see notice (http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=118416) ).

I'm moving your post to the Reef Disussion Forum so you can get some answers. Feel free to post again in Dr. Ron's forum on Saturday if you haven't received an answer.

Kevin

PS - Try clicking on the "Search Forums" link at the top of the page and type in "chiton" - I think you'll find all the information you're looking for.

DAN THE MAN
10/11/2002, 10:14 AM
They are herbavors and detivors and are a good thing to have unless you have an acrylic tank.

DT's_Reef
10/11/2002, 10:18 AM
If you have an acrylic tank they'll etch a path along where they scrape algae off. Not good if they're on the front of the tank. I don't know if all of them do that, but the ones I had certainly did.

Darin

ShapeGSX
10/11/2002, 12:05 PM
They are better rock cleaners than any snail I have ever seen. I had one that lived on a single rock for around 9 months. He honestly NEVER left the rock! It was completely clean of any hair algae when the rest of the tank looked like a 1000 foot view of a kelp forest.

Unfortunately, that guy decided to move. Now he is on the glass. I wish he would choose another rock to live on!

Mike_Noren
10/12/2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by craighmarshall
I think I have found one in my tank. But what is it, what does it do and is it healthy for my tank? Also, where can I read up on this creature

Chitons are easily recognized as they are molluscs with 8 plates along the back of the body.
Most of the ones likely to turn up in aquaria are algae eaters, often eating coralline algae (not necessarily a bad thing, actually), but there exist chitons which will eat e.g. sponges.

I'd leave it alone if I was you - most likely it's completely harmless, even beneficial, to your tank.

Info on chitons... Well, if you search for 'chiton' or 'polyplacophora' (the latin name of the group) you'll get hundreds of hits, e.g. this one:
http://www.manandmollusc.net/advanced_introduction/moll101polyplacophora.html