PDA

View Full Version : DIY overflow

Moonstream
08/29/2007, 01:23 PM
can I use a food grade food storage container cut in half for an overflow? I will be covering it in great stuff foam as well.

hebygb
08/29/2007, 02:14 PM
IMO, Over time, any of these food storage boxes become more brittle or degrade in time. My fear is you would grow to love your tank over a couple of years and then the material for your overflow would go south and you would be in a position of doing a semi or maybe even a total tank rebuild. not to mention it sounds like you background (foam) would have to be removed. But then again, how often are any of us satisfied for that long with a tank.

Moonstream
08/29/2007, 03:51 PM
if the overflow box was completly covered in foam would it be okay to have only the foam (of course after the plastic disolved), as the overflow box? I could also use eggcrate covered in foam, and make sure that their were no leaks.

also, could I use super glue gel to attach the plastic to the back of the tank?

MeuserReef
08/29/2007, 05:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10661733#post10661733 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Moonstream
if the overflow box was completly covered in foam would it be okay to have only the foam (of course after the plastic disolved), as the overflow box? I could also use eggcrate covered in foam, and make sure that their were no leaks.

also, could I use super glue gel to attach the plastic to the back of the tank?

I would do this:

Drill a hole in the back glass and put a bulkhead in it. Then get a 90 degree piece of PVC to go on the inside of the tank into the bulkhead. Then cover this with the foam. On the outside of the tank, come out of the bulkhead and into the sump. Build a "low-profile" overflow box inside of the tank to regulate the level of the water. Cover the box w/ the foam.

Do remember that without an overflow box of some sort that is 100% sealed to the back glass, you run the risk of a serious sump overflow should you ever loose power.

Theres alot to be said for "doing it right the first time"

Here is how I have my tank setup. (sorry, my pic got shrunken somehow)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/Original_Tarheel/ExternalDurso.jpg

Just my $.02

fishb8
08/30/2007, 05:20 PM
Ths picture is fine but I only used a 90 deg elbow straight into the bulkhead that was drilled about 4 inches below the top of the tank. I bought a slotted pvc drain cover and cut the top off and easily slid it on the pvc elbow. Works great.