PDA

View Full Version : I HATE AGA....125 tank blew and no warranty!

honda2sk
08/29/2007, 10:41 AM
My 125 gallon AGA tank is less then 5 months old. One of the holes in the overflow cracked and spidered. I had only one fish in the tank but 200 lbs of live rock and lots on inverts. I was able to transfer over the livestock to another tank temporarily but got about 50 gallons of water on the living room floor before I was able to suction out the water low enough so it would stop flooding.

Here is the kicker. I have been communicating with Central Pets Warranty department (AGA's new name) and they refuse to warranty the tank!!! I talked to and emailed the warranty department. The guy consulted with his supervisor and both refuse warranty. Even talked to the supervisor's supervisor and he said it is user error., He said I must have caused stress on the plumbing by the bulkhead. I sent several pictures to them and have all the emails and voicemails saved.

So first off they lie about their tech tanks. I got stuck with an early production one that has that cheap low iron glass on the front not to mention my overflow is not completely siliconed to the back glass so I got fish swimming back there all the time. Its all set up so I am not going to tear down the whole tank to exchange it. Now they won't warranty a tank that I have all the receipts saved either.

[profanity]. I am so happy my brother is an attorney. Get ready AGA/Central Pets. Your gonna pay!

[moved]

RichConley
08/29/2007, 11:00 AM
Nobody warrantees their tanks. It sucks, but thats the way it is.

ralphie16
08/29/2007, 11:01 AM
The paperwork for my AGA tank says lifetime warranty if it is placed on an AGA stand. Looks like they should warranty you Honda. Personally I will never buy another AGA or Oceanic product again because of all the lies and BS they give about their Tech Tanks series. I have moved on to Perfecto and they are MUCH MUCH better. And I tell all my friends getting new tanks to stay clear of AGA/Oceanic/Central Pets

I actually had the same thing happen to me recently. Except I had a little 40 gallon breeder that cracked. I talked to the general manager of the warranty department, Frank, and he was such a jerk. Said I broke the tank too! what a bunch of jerks they have over there.

RichConley
08/29/2007, 11:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10659691#post10659691 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ralphie16
The paperwork for my AGA tank says lifetime warranty if it is placed on an AGA stand. Looks like they should warranty you Honda.

The problem is, the reason tanks break at drilled holes usually IS because pressure was applied to a bulkhead. They don't need to refund him, and if he takes this to court, he'll lose (if they dont just settle to not deal with it).

I just dont understand why he accepted delivery of tank that wasnt properly built (overflow not attached properly)

honda2sk
08/29/2007, 11:09 AM
Yes Frank was the guys named who I spoke with as well. He is a complete tool. Dont know how these people get in management positions.

Rich, many companies do settle to avoid court. I have had two similar experiences with other products and both companies sent me a check before court date.

I did not notice that the top 4" of the overflow on the left side were not attached wen I picked it up. Looks like water pressure made it more obvious.

Serioussnaps
08/29/2007, 12:22 PM
Do you have pictures?

manderx
08/29/2007, 12:30 PM
I did not notice that the top 4" of the overflow on the left side were not attached wen I picked it up. Looks like water pressure made it more obvious.
or you tore it yourself while installing your standpipe. i only say this because there are very few ways i can imagine a bulkhead hole cracking, and pretty much all of them are on the rough side of user error.

honda2sk
08/29/2007, 12:52 PM
i think you misunderstood my problem with my tech tank. There is a space between the overflow box and the back of the tank. The silcone does not go all the way to the top on one side. Therefore water falls into the overflow through the side, not only through the teeth. This is clearly a manufacturer's defect. There is simply no silcone there. Like they forget to go the rest of the way. Since the tank is set up already with livestock I do not intend to tear it down to replace the tank. Not worth it in my opinion.

RobbyG
08/29/2007, 01:08 PM
Oceanic does warranty the silicone seams and frames of there tanks for 5 years, but not the glass.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10659688#post10659688 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Nobody warrantees their tanks. It sucks, but thats the way it is.

RichConley
08/29/2007, 01:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10660543#post10660543 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RobbyG
Oceanic does warranty the silicone seams and frames of there tanks for 5 years, but not the glass.

Have you seen them honor those warrantees? I've seen a couple warrantied tanks fail, and never seen one replaced by warranty.

ralphie16
08/29/2007, 01:17 PM
at the end, these companies will not honor warranties until you take their sorry behinds to court. good luck honda2sk. win one for all of us who ever suffered from those dcks at AGA/Central Pets.

sirjohn
08/29/2007, 01:20 PM
By any chance, did you purchase the AGA Durso kit? As I recall, the kit includes the bulkheads for the overflow of most tanks, along with a metal tool to screw on the bulkhead.

If I remember the instructions correctly, if you use this tool to hand-tighten the bulkhead screw, there is pretty much no way that you can apply enough pressure by hand to crack the tank at the drilled holes. Where you run into trouble is when you use a wrench or similar tool to tighten the screw on the bulkhead, and the instructions specifically state not to use a wrench.

It might help you (or your brother) in your dealings with AGA.

honda2sk
08/29/2007, 01:25 PM
yes it came with the special tool to use and thats what I used. everything was fine for 5 months. then out of nowhere I heard a crackling and went to check it out and saw the horror. good thing I was home at the time.

I do not plan on writing more info on this topic at the moment because I will be talking this to court and who knows if AGA and Central Pets will read this print it out and bring it to court and find some stupid technicality as to why they can rip me off and not honor the warranty. I will tell every single person I know who is buying a fish tank to stay away from anything central pets has to offer.

but you guys can be sure I will let this and the other boards I belong to know the outcome of the lawsuit.

8BALL_99
08/29/2007, 01:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10660574#post10660574 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Have you seen them honor those warrantees? I've seen a couple warrantied tanks fail, and never seen one replaced by warranty.

Ditto. I've seen a couple get new tanks through the LFS. Most of them don't.

That said I think this could have been your plumbing.. Was this tank hard plumbed? Its very easy to crack a tank when they are hard plumbed.. A few inches of pvc out to one side can put a massive amount of leverage\preassure on the glass..

shrinky
08/29/2007, 01:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10659733#post10659733 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by honda2sk
Rich, many companies do settle to avoid court. I have had two similar experiences with other products and both companies sent me a check before court date.

Not to throw too much fuel on the fire, but this my friends, is why we end up with sub-par customer and warranty services... is this guy making a habit of making companies (and vicariously us, the consumers) pay for his user error?

RichConley
08/29/2007, 01:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10660648#post10660648 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sirjohn
By any chance, did you purchase the AGA Durso kit? As I recall, the kit includes the bulkheads for the overflow of most tanks, along with a metal tool to screw on the bulkhead.

If I remember the instructions correctly, if you use this tool to hand-tighten the bulkhead screw, there is pretty much no way that you can apply enough pressure by hand to crack the tank at the drilled holes. Where you run into trouble is when you use a wrench or similar tool to tighten the screw on the bulkhead, and the instructions specifically state not to use a wrench.

It might help you (or your brother) in your dealings with AGA.

The issue isnt tightening the bulkhead, its that the bulkhead (and the plumbing hanging off of it) are a huge lever arm, and sometimes all it takes is a bump to break the glass.

honda2sk
08/29/2007, 01:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10660760#post10660760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shrinky
Not to throw too much fuel on the fire, but this my friends, is why we end up with sub-par customer and warranty services... is this guy making a habit of making companies (and vicariously us, the consumers) pay for his user error?

you are such a fool. without people like me who stand up for themselves, companies would walk all over the consumer. i cant even begin to explain who many companies would screw the general population. i took a couple of classes in college about this whole topic and let me tell you its scary. you know there was a time before regulation of the drug industry when anyone could make any claim on their product and how it cured every ailment. and nobody knew what crap they were giving you to swallow. how about the automobile industry? there was a time not too long ago when they fought tooth and nail to keep seatbelts out of cars. the list is endless. without consumers fighting back companies CAN and WILL do what they want.

p.s. your insinuating that this and the two other cases were user error. without any knowledge as to what happened in those past cases how can you make that assumption? you cannot. therefore I see your input to this situation as worthless and your pointless RAMBLINGS are to be dismissed.

for what its worth (and to prove my point) I drove through a parking entrance, paid the attendant, the swing arm came up and when I drove through the swing arm came down on top of my car. there was an obvious malfunction to the control arm. there was video footage of the incident as well as a number of witnesses and the company STILL REFUSED TO PAY FOR THE DAMAGES. well got my brother to send a nice letter to them and guess what? they sent a check for the damages. do you still see this as a case of the sneaky consumer taking advantage of a big sweet innocent company? is this why you have to pay an additional 5 cents to park? are you going to ***** about this too?

sirjohn
08/29/2007, 01:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10660807#post10660807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
The issue isnt tightening the bulkhead, its that the bulkhead (and the plumbing hanging off of it) are a huge lever arm, and sometimes all it takes is a bump to break the glass.

I see what you're saying and agree that's more likely to break the tank.

Although I still think that if you use a plumber's wrench (for example) to tighten the plastic screw on the outside of the bulkhead and you apply enough pressure to the screw, you will undoubtedly crack the tank at the drilled hole. In any event, he says he used the small metal tool provided by AGA in the Durso Kit, so that wasn't what happened.

Fishbulb2
08/29/2007, 01:52 PM
Well, I would have imagined that a tank designed this way would be able to support reasonable plumbing. Are acrylic tanks tougher? I don't own a large tank and simply use a siphon overflow box so I haven't dealt with plumbing through a bulk head. Is this scenerio of bulkhead induced breaks less common in acrylic tanks?

8BALL_99
08/29/2007, 02:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10660864#post10660864 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fishbulb2
Well, I would have imagined that a tank designed this way would be able to support reasonable plumbing. Are acrylic tanks tougher? I don't own a large tank and simply use a siphon overflow box so I haven't dealt with plumbing through a bulk head. Is this scenerio of bulkhead induced breaks less common in acrylic tanks?

Thats what plumbing strap is for.. Your not suppose to "hang" your plumbing from the bulkhead. Infact your plumbing should be secured right at the bulkhead so if you remove your return pump or turn a ball vavle on your drain you dont put preasure on the bottem of the tank.

Acrylic is much stronger in the fact its not as brittle.. It has a lot more flex to it. IE a 1/4 peice of acrylic will Bow a ton more then 1/4 glass with the same weight.. But if the glass is bowed much at all it shatters.

8BALL_99
08/29/2007, 02:36 PM
Honda, No reason to call shrinky a fool.. Saying that you have already tried to take two other companys to court does make you sound like some one who drags companys through all those frivolous lawsuits you hear about.. You know my food was to hot and burnt my mouth.. I for one am 27 and never had to take a company to court.. But at the same time I've been sued 4 times all for stupid crap that people thought they could just threaten me and get easy money.. Wrong..Anyway Thats how it is now days everyone is very quick to go to court..

You don't seem to even consider the fact for one second that it was your fault. I dont know if it was or not can't tell by the info you have gave us.. But by the way you sound I don't think it matters what we said. FWIW I think you should chill out take a step back and really think about things. Make sure it wasn't your fault.. You might not care since as you say your brother is a lawer and he probably wont charge you to go to court.. Even though I'm sure the time he spends on this if it goes to court is worth more then your tank. Mine charges 250 an hour...More for court Dates

PSam
08/29/2007, 02:59 PM
I contacted Central Pet + Garden ~ 6 months ago re: a product under their Coralife brand name that failed (after 4 months of use). The guy I spoke with was courteous, and after speaking with him, the failure may even have been my fault for not correctly reading the directions, which I acknowledged. Regardless, I was sent, free of charge, 2 replacement units of a more expensive model.

$0.02 FWIW

LargeAngels
08/29/2007, 03:10 PM
Anytime you drill a hole in glass you weaken the structure and can introduce microcracks that propagate over time. Especially in an aquarium in which the pressure applied by the water bows the structure.

d4a2n0k
08/29/2007, 03:24 PM
I had a new Oceanic blow out on me two weeks after setup. The tank was not drilled but they did honor the warranty after numerous phone calls. I had to return the tank to the store I bought it from and they sent it back to the local distributor for them to inspect. After a few weeks I had my money back and got a Tech Tank. Oceanics quality has definitely taken a turn for the worse compared to years ago.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1018434&highlight=oceanic

Im not happy about the stand on my Tech Tank. The black laminate is coming off in places which after 6 or so months is unacceptable but the tank itself is built like a truck. It has perfect seams and no pitting on the glass.

IMO, if I were to buy another tank right now, Id go for a Perfecto. They dont seem to be plagued with problems like the current AGA/Oceanic tanks are. Its a shame because Oceanic used to mean quality but now you never know what you are going to get.

Will they at least let you take it back to be looked at by the distributor? Or have they not even given you a chance and shot you down right away?

oldimpala
08/29/2007, 03:31 PM
Honda-

I've gotta say, I've had nothing but good luck with AGA stuff. I don't know how the transition to the new company will fare, but for pre-made stuff, they've been nothing but good to me in the past.

I've got a 27 year old (I'm third owner) 75G I just took out of service last year, and it's been moved at least 5 times, and on a borderline uneven homemade stand for it's last 5 years.... A 72G Bow, and 4 20's (Two over 20 years old), all holding water, happily. The 72G and the 75G are both drilled, FWIW, but have had a small rubber hose jumper to avoid stress on the tank.... (Per their directions). Did you have a rubber hose jumper on the tank?

Oh, and auto manufacturers DID have seat belts in cars. As far back as the early 50's. It was an option. A $13 Option on an old Chevy I own, which very, very few people added. And, it wasn't consumer activism, it was governmental regulation that added that. Period. Don't use that as an example. Do you want the Feds regulating tank construction? Mis-guided consumer activism has caused the death of many things I've love....

Weren't you the same guy bashing Tunze a few weeks ago, too? Those have both been pretty much standards in my world...

-Andy/Oldimpala

PS: I am in the process of a tank upgrade now, and I will admit, I just ordered a 120G Miracles tank for my new upgrade. That's only due to some arrangement/hole placement reasons. And, I almost bought an AGA for that, too...

RobbyG
08/29/2007, 07:00 PM
This thread is filled with so many varying stories that it seems clear that Oceanic does honor warranties but it depends on the circumstances, and that's exactly what one would expect.

Jeremy Blaze
09/08/2007, 02:06 PM
I know All Glass and Perfecto have honered many many tanks that have come through my LFS and failed for some reason or another.

What I am confused about is you said the bottom of the tank spiderwebbed and cracked, but then you say that the tank is fully stocked and set up and have no intentions on tearing it down?

BrianD
09/10/2007, 05:26 PM
Honda, you need to keep your language in check or this thread will be closed.

alton
09/11/2007, 04:32 PM
Oceanic Aquariums and Lonestar Beer. Real Oceanic Aquariums where made in Dallas, TX and Real Lonestar beer was made in San Antonio. Today you have to buy Deep Sea Aquatics(Dallas,TX) and Shiner Blond (Shiner, TX) if you want quality, not Lonestar made by Miller and Oceanic made by All Glass. Oh by the way on my old Oceanic Tanks 200 and 158 custom I tightened my bulkheads with 16" Channel Locks, no leaks, and no cracks even today, I did break a bulk head once though.

dc
09/13/2007, 04:59 PM
Well I didn't even ask what brand of tanks they were, but the place I go with my friend to pick up pet supplies had a 4' 150 gal and a 90 gal that had been replaced with new tanks as they were still under warranty.

The 90 was cracking where it was drilled, and the 150 had a big crack halfway across the bottom starting in one corner. Someone must warrent their tanks.

triggerfish1976
09/14/2007, 01:57 PM
I can understand if this were a failed seam after 5 months but since this issue happened in an area where you did your own labor (install bulkhead) I can see why they would give you a hard time. If there was a noticeable chip or crack around the edge of the drain hole before you put on the bulkhead and you reported it then you would probably not have an issue. Since this has been up and running for a few months and is just failing now then I can see why they wouldn't just jump out and issue you a refund.
This is why I have avoided glass tanks for the last few years and went with acrylic.