PDA

View Full Version : whats the difference between an ocellaris and a percula?

MRICKEN1012
08/28/2007, 03:00 AM
whats the difference between an ocellaris and a percula? I was sold a percula, but after seeing some pics I think its an ocellaris.

Ninong
08/28/2007, 09:35 AM
Amphiprion percula (http://www.nhm.ku.edu/inverts/ebooks/ch2.html#percu)

Amphiprion ocellaris (http://www.nhm.ku.edu/inverts/ebooks/ch2.html#ocell)

:D

P.S. -- There are other color morphs of both species available in the hobby trade. Specifically, they're importing a black color morph of A. ocellaris from the Darwin, Australia area and there are black color morphs of A. percula (commonly called Black Onyx Percs) being captive bred in the U.K. and the U.S.

MRICKEN1012
08/28/2007, 02:21 PM
thanks

PhilliePhil
08/28/2007, 03:10 PM
I think I have the same issue...

From looking at the links, I see that I may have two true's and I thought I had purchased false's.

Both have black edges on their white bars, but I thought oc's and perc's both have this?

Do ocellaris' have black edges on their white bars?

Ninong
08/28/2007, 03:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10653603#post10653603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PhilliePhil
I think I have the same issue...

From looking at the links, I see that I may have two true's and I thought I had purchased false's.

Both have black edges on their white bars, but I thought oc's and perc's both have this?

Do ocellaris' have black edges on their white bars?

Yes, both species have black edges on their white bars but the black edging is more pronounced in A. percula.

If you can manage to get a really good, in focus, close-up picture of your fish with the dorsal fin extended, it is sometime possible to count the dorsal ray spines. We have done this on another board and it worked but that guy was pretty good with a camera, too.

:D

P.S. -- How old are your fish, assuming they're captive-bred and you know that information? A. percula do not achieve adult coloration and markings until they are about 12-14 months old.

PhilliePhil
08/28/2007, 03:41 PM
Ninong,

Thank you for your prompt response!

I only have my cell phone so I know I wont be able to get a close enough photo. I have tried to count them as they're moving...but it was an exercise in futility.

I don't know old they are, one I bought from a local reefer and the other I bought from an lfs. I am fairly certain the one i bought from the lfs is less than a year old, he was about an inch long when I got him. I was told the female was captive bred, and the lfs display had "tank bred" on their listing (they charged more than the wild caught ones in the tank next to em)

The lfs had him marked as false, and my larger "false" resembled a false from pictures I saw at the time....hence the reason I went for another one.

I'm still fairly-kinda-not so much now-certain they're oc's though...hahaha