PDA

View Full Version : Are anglers really that difficult?

Mad Scientist
10/09/2002, 07:42 AM
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting this small colored angler (Antennarius commerson). It would go into a LR based species tank.

I've heard these guys are a nightmare to train to take frozen food. Is this true? Can anyone relate personal experience? I have tons of experience teaching different species of lions to take frozen, but, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice of how difficult anglers can be to train.

M.Dandaneau
10/09/2002, 08:29 AM
Gotta ask how big your tank is.
The Commerson's is often called the "Giant Anglerfish", and there are almost NO suitable tankmates that can't be eaten eventually.
I love anglers and have a 300 gal tank, but would have to pass on that particular species.
As to anglers in general that grow to a more managable size, I've found them easier to train over than many to most lionfish.

billsreef
10/09/2002, 09:02 AM
Never had a problem training Juvi anglers to take food from a stick. Pretty much the methods as training a lion will work. The biggest problem I've ever had with feeding anglers is keeping them from being over fed by every one else at the store wanting in on the fun ;)

Mad Scientist
10/09/2002, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I have a 20L, he would be the sole inhabitant (he's about 2.5" long right now). I heard they top out at 10" or so,but, don't grow all that fast, is this true?
M.Dandaneau, could you advise on a more suitable speices (sin terms of size)?

Thanks again

M.Dandaneau
10/09/2002, 11:51 AM
Defintiely should have just picked Mike for a username.
Actually, the two most common biggies are the commerson's (11 inches) and the tropical Atlantic's Ocellatus (15 inches), with the indicus at about 9inches being another.
Coinbearing (5.1) and twinspots (5.5) are more moderate sized and also stay out a lot, whereas some of the dwarfs (2") go into the rocks and are rarely seen.
Anglers are awesome, require little swimming space and not only "walk" on legs with "knees". but also have pectorals modified very much like an arm, complete with elbow, hand and fingers that they actually grasp and climb with.
The downside is anything their size or smaller is food, and unless you can keep live feeders in with them to allow snacking on demand, the chance of ANY tankmate disappearing gets more and more likely, including those larger than themselves, which can end in the death of both.