PDA

View Full Version : Pump Suggestions for 20 gallon

Alarmguy66
08/27/2007, 08:44 AM
Drilled my 20 this weekend, plumbed it and connected the mag 9. made the overflow, Time for a test run.

Well it leaks and the noise level is just too high. Not a surprise either way. I'm sure I could find an o-ring that would reseal the pump, but the noise seemed to be coming directly from the impeller of the motor, and I dont know that I can change that. I could try replumbing for 1" (instead of 1/2") all the way to the inlet (minimize cativation), but I suspect that might not make a difference. A pump with bearings is probably going to be the answer.

Along those lines, if I ran flexible line instead of hard pvc between the motor and tank, would the sound transference from the motor to the tank be reduced? Different motor suggestions?

SunDragon
08/27/2007, 09:52 AM
Is the pump in sump, or out of sump?

Alarmguy66
08/27/2007, 10:10 AM
Guess I should have said that, closed loop, no sump, at least not unless the plan changes.

SunDragon
08/27/2007, 10:19 AM
I had a very similar setup on a 20 long some time ago. I used flex tubing all the way through with a 1" intake and 3/4" out. I had a little bit of pump rattle till all the air worked its way out, then it was just your basic pump hum after that. I had the pump sitting on a piece of scrap carpet to keep it from vibrating against the stand.