PDA

View Full Version : Purple algae

snagged by reef
08/26/2007, 11:40 AM
Hey guys,

i've read many books but want to finalize something here. the attractive purple algae....what is the name of it and what makes it grow and can i get it to grow faster? i love the color and want to make sure i dont do anything wrong to make it stop growing.

Also, i bought a canister filter months ago and now am getting the feeling i might of wasted my money.....best filtration please?

Thanks guys

JetCat USA
08/26/2007, 11:45 AM
Coralline Algae, grows in favorable water conditions, lighting and flow, to make it grow in your tank, keep favorable water conditions, lighting and flow.

Mavrk
08/26/2007, 12:48 PM
In addition, you have to make sure your calcium levels are high enough.

Mavrk
08/26/2007, 12:50 PM
By the way, nitrates close to 0 helps, too.

Basically think of it as keeping corals (although you might not need MH).

JetCat USA
08/26/2007, 01:00 PM
Ca falls under 'Favorable Water Conditions' and NO3 has no bearing on coralline growth. it flourishes in my predator systems with >200ppm NO3

michaeljames
08/26/2007, 01:00 PM
Keep your CA levels around 420ppm, You really don't need the canister filter, a good protien skimmer is worth it's weight in gold though, most of your filtration will be done by your live rock and skimmer

Mavrk
08/26/2007, 01:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10637783#post10637783 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JetCat USA
Ca falls under 'Favorable Water Conditions' and NO3 has no bearing on coralline growth. it flourishes in my predator systems with >200ppm NO3

I was just trying to be more specific. "Favorable" can mean different things depending on what you want to keep. It is my understanding that nitrates and phosphates will stunt the growth of coralline algae. It may flourish in your predator system, but if one wants it to grow faster, then keep the nitrates low.

In any case, I am not a fan of keeping nitrates so high even for FO.