PDA

View Full Version : Will any of these fish kill my reeftank?

Genetics
08/23/2007, 08:20 AM
I know the general answer to this but I also have some fairly large clams and some decent size zoas colonies. The tank will mostly be SPS but just want to make sure that I'm not getting something that will destroy my clam collection. My tank is a 180g display.

If you see any problem with this list let me know ASAP!

Anthias:
Bartlett (4x)
Lyretail (4x)
Squareback (4x)

Butterflies:
Copperband (2x)

Angel:
Potters (1x)

Tangs:
Purple (1x)
Hippo (1x)
Kole Yellow Eye (1x)

Clowns:
Perculas (2x)

Blenny:
Bicolor (1x)

Goby:
catalina (3x)

Wrasse:
mystery or fairy (1x) - recommendations?

Mandarin:
Psychedelic (1x)

mattheadington
08/23/2007, 08:46 AM
Butterflies:
Copperband (2x)

They are of course not 100% safe with clams, and if I remember correctly they may have compatability issues with each other. Perhaps in a 180 they will be alright, but I remember reading a post by another reefer that if was a constant battle between them. Great fish though, one of my favorites.

Genetics
08/23/2007, 09:22 AM
Good call on the copperbands. I found numerous posts on these guys devouring clams within minutes. Guess I will stick to a few peppermints.

Sk8r
08/23/2007, 09:44 AM
Your zoas are a threat to your sps. They're not that compatible in the same water system, if you want your sps to grow.

Any angel is a risk: some do, some don't, and it's individual with those that don't.

Catalina goby is cold-water. Not compatible with your other livestock: they shouldn't sell these fish, or should say "not for reef."

Genetics
08/23/2007, 10:11 AM
My list is shortening pretty quickly. Thanks for the input sk8r. The catalina are great color but the last time I kept them it was a decade ago before I had interest in a reef. You're right that they are from colder waters.

I guess I will stay away from angels. I really love these fish so its too bad that I can't keep any of them.

Zoa - SPS compatibility. I've been successful keeping them separated by having the zoas on a seperate rock island in the tank. I've made the mistake before where they've become invasive marching in on the SPS base.

RokleM
08/23/2007, 11:06 AM
Anthias:
Bartlett (4x)
Lyretail (4x)
Squareback (4x)
You'll get mixed reactions on these. Many people say stick with one specifically, some with very large tanks (300+) have had good luck mixing. I have Lyretail's myself. I need to add a few more females as I had a couple jump on me before completing my screen top. I hadn't read about them being jumpers anywhere, but it certainly is the case. You do have a number of jumpers listed so I would highly recommend looking into hoods/lids/mesh/etc.

Angel:
Potters (1x)
Agree on the hit or miss (from what I've read) with the Angels. No specific experience myself.

Wrasse:
mystery or fairy (1x) - recommendations?
From what I've read, Mystery Wrasses can start out calm, but can turn into terrors as they grow older. On the Fairy, did you have a specific one? I know there is one specific one people call just a "Fairy Wrasse", not referring to the group. I personally love my Flame "Fairy" Wrasse. Very calm, slightly shy, very beautiful. Reading through the posts of the most calm and least teritorial fairy wrasses, this is my "wish list".
Lineatus
Flame
Rhomboid
Laboutei
Hooded

icu2
08/23/2007, 11:24 AM
My potters angel is a model citzen; but may be that particular fish.

Sk8r
08/23/2007, 11:31 AM
My filamented fairy wrasse killed two of my gobies. Not happy with wrasses, because my main fish are gobies. ;)

Norm R
08/23/2007, 11:33 AM
Agreed w/ everything above. I'd just add that copperbands will also devour small feather dusters...if that matters to you. On the mystery wrasse, I've had one for about 4 years or so (avatar). It's a model citizen w/ a very cool personality....but it will eat shrimp. We have a number of wrasses. The mystery is by far my favorite but I also like the Scott's fairy wrasse quite a bit. The color on both of these varies significantly by individual so I'd consider getting it locally or WYSIWYG if you go that route. :)

szwab
08/23/2007, 12:09 PM
pygmy angels are hit or miss some never touch a thing some not so much :)
I'd hold off on the manderin for a while until the tank ages a bit more.
IMO I'd do 2 tangs max in the tank (others may say more is ok) it's a matter of opinion.
zoas and sps can be done placement is imortant in regards to both lighting and "warfare"
copperbands (or any butterfly) are hit or mis with clams as well.

pretty much there is no guarantee with any fish. for example my sailfin has picked at my crocea from time to time.

Genetics
08/23/2007, 01:48 PM
Rockle, I see a bunch of ppl with 2 or more species of anthias. However they all had larger tanks than I currently have and I'm thinking I'll cut down to one specie. Now I just have to decide which species I want. There are some amazing wrasses out there especially the four you've highlighted.

Icu2, I will do a quarantine on the potters and see how he does when tempted with a clam for a few days. If the clam looks good after a week then I'll move him into the display.

Sk8r, Well you're killing my hopes of a peaceful tank. I'll go with purple firefish and hopefully the wrasse won't go after those guys.

Norm, Thanks for the input. I will keep my eyes open for wrasses that are WYSIWYG.

szwab, 180g is a bit small for 3 tangs. I'll do two and that should be ok. I'm thinking I'll keep away from the copperbands but am trying to figure out when aptasia start growing in the tank what I should do. I potentially can't have shrimp with the wrasse.

This is an update of where I am now. This mornings list is quite a bit different from this afternoon.

Anthias:
Lyretail (10x) - 1 male / 9 female - Can't decide b/t these and bartletts

Angel:
Potters (1x) - QT w one small clam to see results

Tangs:
Hippo (1x)
Kole (1x)

Clowns:
Black Ocellaris (2x)

Blenny:
Bicolor (1x)

Firefish:
Purple (3x)

Wrasse:
Laboutei wrasse or Mystery wrasse (1x)

Mandarin:
Psychedelic (1x) - Hold off for xmas.

TOURKID
08/23/2007, 02:01 PM
Im not going to be able to remember theyre actual name but phishy had some of the most beautiful anthias ive seen. they were on the far left side with pink and yellow dotted head

Genetics
08/23/2007, 02:55 PM
Tourkid, are you refering to the Ventralis anthias?

TOURKID
08/23/2007, 03:45 PM
yep! its funny, as soon as i posted that i got my sand in the mail and there was a picture of a male on the front lol