PDA

View Full Version : Heat and shipping livestock

forensicdoc
08/22/2007, 09:37 PM
This does not pertain to any particular vendor, but is a general question. Given the extreme heat in large parts of the US (It has been over 100 for the past 2 weeks in Nashville...most unusual), I was wondering whether anyone is seeing stress with live shipments. Are shippers packing the livestock differently to account for the heat? Is it OK to order livestock now, or should I wait for the weather to moderate some? Thanks for your input!

spsboy
08/22/2007, 10:44 PM
It really depends on which shipper they use, and where the layover is at. If they use UPS more than likely your shipment will be in kentucky overnight, so you need to see what the weather is like there. We get things shipped to dallas all the time, and for the most part, the animals arrive in good health, but make sure they don't put to many ice packs in, because the fish can get to cold. As long as you order from a reputable vendor, you should be fine.
Hope this helps,
Drew

Cristi
08/22/2007, 11:11 PM
It has been over 100 here everyday all summer and I have received at least 5 live shipments and all have arrived in good condition--no signs of stress. There has always been an ice pack included in the shipment.