PDA

View Full Version : Recipe question for the 2 part additive....

jfolley67
08/22/2007, 07:35 AM
was looking to pick up the stuff today for the 2 part additive for calcium/alk.....
I see there was a third part...does anyone do that? That part that does the magensium chloride???? Is that considered the part 2? You can really look at it a couple of ways so wanted to know if this is the case, there are 2 options listed as that part 3....and which does everyone prefer....

I have never had stony corals in the tank so getting prepared to make sure levels are good for some....so you guys will be hit up with plenty of questions for all of your "golden" experience!!!
:rollface:

crumbletop
08/22/2007, 08:16 AM
It is really a 3-part, Julie. You don't end up adding very much of the Mg part over time. A gallon of the Mg lasts me about a year. I go through about a gallon a month of the 2-part (alk and calcium).

Here is a pdf that I made up for the MTRC meeting where we discussed 2-part over at Wooglin's house.

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/c/r/crumbletop/Homemade2-Part.pdf

c_stowers
08/22/2007, 08:19 AM
I use all three parts. I imagine one would have to use all three unless you do massage water changes. If I recall correctly, the two options for the thrid (mag) part is an ionically balances MgCl/ MgSO4 solution or a pure MgSO4 solution. I use the ionically balanced solution because it does not cause as much of a build up of SO4 ions and it is of cource ionically balanced. I don't think you can get MgSO4 locally, but its pretty easy to find online.

crumbletop
08/22/2007, 08:23 AM
MgSO4 is Epsom Salts, which you can get at any drug store (I got mine in a bag from Walgreens). Magnesium Chloride is the one that is harder to find locally, but as Chris says, there are several decent options online.

jfolley67
08/22/2007, 09:12 AM
I am chemistry challenged.....does not get any better outside of college~~ugh
Thanks for the help. I have never worried about this stuff, so learn something new every day.

Angela Short
08/22/2007, 09:18 AM
Sams club has huge bags of baking soda and epsons salt real cheap :).

Angela Short
08/22/2007, 09:20 AM
Also the publix in Spring hill has drivway heat right now and I think its the same thing so you wouldn't have to order the dowflake and do shipping. A small jug would last a long time with no stonies I would think.

jfolley67
08/22/2007, 10:06 AM
cool, I will check my publix here and I am always in sam's club!! good info Ang......

jfolley67
08/22/2007, 10:09 AM
probably going with titanium heaters.....want to order now but are there significant differences between brands? What is everyone's experience? I found ones that are pacific coast titanium with a basic controller for them for like 40 bucks and then there are some no controller you buy separate that end up to be about 80 bucks.....help!!
going to go with one 500w hooked to the aquacontroller and then a separate one not hooked to controller (in case of heater or controller failure) that is 300w. How does that sound?

eyebedam
08/22/2007, 10:23 PM
If im not mistaken I was on premium aquatic website earlier & they got titanium heaters on sale right now.

anthony34
08/24/2007, 08:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10608526#post10608526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Angela Short
Also the publix in Spring hill has drivway heat right now and I think its the same thing so you wouldn't have to order the dowflake and do shipping. A small jug would last a long time with no stonies I would think.

Yep Prestone Driveway heat is the same thing, I have not bought any in about 2years got like 6 of them when the massive price drop, if you catch it at the end of winter you can get it for about $2.00 or less they are pretty much giving it away at winters end.

jfolley67
08/24/2007, 08:39 AM
good idea.......will definitely remember that! thanks for the info