PDA

View Full Version : upgrading my return pump

Nashvegas
08/19/2007, 11:49 PM
I am thinking about getting a stronger return pump than the one that came with my system...it currently has an aquaclear 5000 on it...my question is could i get a stronger on with no worries..is my reef ready system only capable of handing a certain size...what would anyone recommend?

DMBillies
08/20/2007, 12:18 AM
Aquaclear 5000's are rated for just under 1000 gph, right? I am assuming that the overflow on a half circle is a... half circle :) Or maybe a standard rectangular-ish overflow?

I have a 92 corner bow which has an overflow that is a quarter circle. That overflow is a dog compared to my 90 gallon overflow and has trouble handling anything more than a Mag 7 (700 gph). If your overflow has double the size, you might think it could handle a bit more flow up to maybe 1400, but if your plumbing is only a 1" return (which my 90 is), you probably won't be so lucky. That's entirely unscientific, but I think you'd be pushing you luck going with a significantly stronger (i.e., worth the time and money for the upgrade) pump... just a guess though.

Nashvegas
08/20/2007, 09:06 AM
thanks.. thats exactly the stuff i need to think about but didnt know how to word...so how does someone know what the max is an overflow can handle? just trial and error or something else?

Angela Short
08/20/2007, 11:47 AM
I think there is a calculator on RC homepage to figure that stuff out.

crumbletop
08/20/2007, 11:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10592597#post10592597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nashvegas
thanks.. thats exactly the stuff i need to think about but didnt know how to word...so how does someone know what the max is an overflow can handle? just trial and error or something else?

The standard AGA megaflow I think handles around 600-700 GPH. I'm not sure about other overflows.