PDA

View Full Version : Adding more LR.

ReefingMadness
08/19/2007, 12:01 PM
I have got about 60 lbs. of LR. It is all from a tank that I bought a little while ago. She said that it was cured when she got it and had had it for 6 months. I have had it for about a month. I have a 65G with about 60 lbs already in it. My question is, can I put all of it in at one time or do it in stages?

Angela Short
08/19/2007, 12:44 PM
Where has it been for the month you have had it? If its been in water with circulation going full time it should be fine to add right in. Only thing is adding a lot of rock to your tank may stir up the sand pretty bad if you are not careful releasing a bunch of nasty in the water that can cause a mini cycle.

I would try to not stirr things up real bad and do a good water change as soon as you are finnished with the aquascape and you should be fine.

TitansFan
08/19/2007, 12:49 PM
What do you have in your 65g right now fish and coral wise?
If you really want to know if it will be ok and have the place and means to do it... Leave the new rock in a rubbermade container or trash can for a week with flow. Do some tests on the water and see if it is cycling.

If I were going to do anything though yes I would add the rock slowly.

ReefingMadness
08/19/2007, 12:57 PM
It has been in the same tank as which I bought it. The only thing that I have added is a skimmer. So it has been in a running tank the whole time. Was even in water during transport. As far as what I have in the 65 is a mandarin, a few kenya tree, some mushrooms, a few stray zoa, a condylactis, and a cleaner crew. I only run about 1/2- 3/4 " sandbed.