PDA

View Full Version : I started a jbj 3 gal pico

Purple Penguins
08/19/2007, 10:28 AM
I was very excited and very lucky when a friend of mine recently showed up at my house with a jbj 3 gal picotope still in the box, she had purchased it awhile ago and is in the process of moving when she came across it in the back of her closet and remembered how I said I really would like to set one up, It is now up and running stocked with the sand, LR, and water from my main tanks and has 2 small mushrooms, a few diff kinds of zoas, a leather, some button polyps, a dwarf feather duster, pom pom crab, 1 hermit crab and some macro algae, the lights and filter are stock and I added a small heater, let me know what you think and or any suggestions would be great

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s246/pink_twinkies/pico2.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s246/pink_twinkies/pico1.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s246/pink_twinkies/pico3.jpg

NanoGurl
08/19/2007, 12:04 PM
Very kewl! Just make sure that cat doesn't get into the tank! =)

reefer1024
08/19/2007, 01:52 PM
your off to a great start. keep us posted on the progress

mrapisura
08/19/2007, 03:06 PM
It looks great!!!

Purple Penguins
08/19/2007, 10:05 PM
thanks!
forgot to add in list of inhabitants Orange Gorgonia frag that was given to me by a friend that I had thought I lost till I was removing rocks from my other tank and found it alive and well and attached to one of the rocks I put into the picotope, right now looks horrible due to shedding but thats ok, Im just excited its alive, when I first got it, it went missing straight away from a hermit crab walking off with it.

Nanogurl
will keep that pesky cat out of the tank haha
but seriously I have that job already with 3 real cats.

JmLee
08/20/2007, 12:35 AM
lookin good man.!.

Purple Penguins
08/20/2007, 09:47 AM
thanks JmLee, wondering if you could post a pic of your 3 gal picotope, Im curious to see how others have had theirs come along

mollymonticello
08/21/2007, 10:28 AM
Wow! That was fast! Holy cow you have a lot of red macro. Tank looks pretty cool so far. What is this thing circled in red?

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9914/pico3pe9.jpg

Yay! I am glad you found the gorg. I can see it in the photo, doesn't look too bad. I'm sure it will perk up. It loves rotifers.

So, are you still thinking about doing dwarf seahorses? I am considering it. They're a lot cheaper than big seahorses, and after figuring out how easy it is to hatch brine shrimp, I might get those instead. After we move. Keith said I'm not allowed to get them right now, but "when you have more time." Which will be after we move! ;)

Purple Penguins
08/21/2007, 06:46 PM
the one circiled is a a leather of some sort I got from the frag swap, as for the gorg, I was surprised to have found it, however it had a slight accident by my sons hands yesterday, it is broke in half I was rather upset, he thought he needed to rearange my pico and put his hands in there and moved everything all over, needless to say he found his room with a quickness for a time, and Im now just hoping the gorg comes around yet again, I still want to do the dwarf sehorses but have not yet heard anything on them, Im going to email the person again and see if I can get a response, if so when they start breeding I will certainly give you a pair, that is of course I ever do get some

Purple Penguins
08/26/2007, 08:34 AM
there are new happy inhabitants in my 3 gal pico, I added on green clown goby and 1 margarita snail, I never see the clown goby since his favorite hiding space is inside the red macro algae, I have in the past had no luck with clown gobies but I think they are so cute and thought I would give it another try, everything else in the tank is doing very well but I do need to put some kind of top on it due to evaporation

NbMaxx13
08/26/2007, 09:53 AM
Gonna be tagging along on this one ... I've got the same tank and have been pondering what I would like to do with it long term ... My 2.5 gal pico is my favorite tank I ever kept ... So I am interested in your progress.. good luck and keep us posted...

doryarlin955
08/26/2007, 11:46 AM
Looks great. Although you shouldn't try keeping dwarf seahorses in there if that's what you mean... They won't do well in that kind of tank. Try checking out the seahorse forum here or go here:
www.forum.seahorse.org

Purple Penguins
08/26/2007, 07:48 PM
I have checked with many people who breed dwarf seahorses and they need to be in very small tanks due to their size along with not moving to find food but waiting for food to come to them, they also can not have alot of water movement that will blow them all over the place, I have also made plans on hatching the brine shrimp for them and if you put dwarf seahorses in large bodies of water they can starve to death it is my understanding that in a 3 gallon tank you can easly put 5 pairs