PDA

View Full Version : How mobile are mushrooms?

SaltyDr
08/18/2007, 09:28 AM
I have what appears to be a brown discosoma mushroom that arrived as a hitchhiker on my liverock. This thing moves all over the place, and quite quickly (well, more like an inch in a minute or so) What seems odd is that it likes to hide and never comes out when the lights are on. Does this seem normal? I'll get a pic when I can, but this little guy can be elusive.

justinl
08/18/2007, 06:37 PM
inch per minute? that's no coral my friend. maybe a mushroom attached the the shell of a snail? got a pic?

SaltyDr
08/18/2007, 08:11 PM
I'll try to get a pic. I know, this thing moves a lot faster than I would hve thought. I never actually timed it, but it can cross a rock in 10 minutes or so. Weird.

J. Montgomery
08/20/2007, 02:54 PM
Mushrooms move around mostly by detaching their base and floating in the current. Other than that, they only "move" about one body length over the course of a week or so. Anything moving faster than that is probably not a mushroom.

Steveabg
08/20/2007, 03:09 PM
We had a shell with a red discosoma attached to it, and one of the hermit crabs changed his shell for the one with the mushroom on it. He had his very own battle helmet. :)

rhythmicfire
08/21/2007, 01:28 AM
I agree with the above, I am skeptical about a mushroom moving at that rate =) Probably attached to a hermit crab shell

Travis L. Stevens
08/21/2007, 08:55 AM
Now, I've had a mushrooms move it's body length in a 24 hour period, but not an inch a minute. I would definitely suspect other modes of transportation than an actual physical form of locomotion coming from the mushroom

SaltyDr
09/24/2007, 02:01 PM
I have answered the mystery! What I thought was a mushoorm is really a fleshy limpet! It was always seen at night and usually on the underside of a rock so I never got a good look at it. I haven't read anything favorable about them, so I think it's gotta go...

kingfisher62
09/28/2007, 08:14 PM
How about some pics?