PDA

View Full Version : brown substance everywhere

mikuarium
08/17/2007, 12:22 AM
Hello,

I recently started my first SW tank. I bought live rock that was partially cured. It has been about 2 weeks since I set up the tank and now there is a brown substance all over my live rock and all over my sand. Is this normal? How should I get rid of this brown substance. Is it algae or is this dead stuff from the curing live rock? Also, are there any good tutorials on how to do a water change?

Thanks

schoch79
08/17/2007, 12:44 AM
Sounds like diatoms to me. They will go away in time. They are common in new tanks and nothing to worry about.

bertoni
08/17/2007, 01:29 AM
I agree. That sounds like a normal bloom. When the ammonia has been zero for 2-3 weeks, some snails should clean it up, if it isn't gone already.

mikuarium
08/17/2007, 08:12 AM
Should I clean the rocks? should I siphon the diatoms out? I have never done a water change yet. I was recommended to do a water change also because there is some dead parts of the live rock. How exactly do I do a water change. Sorry for the newbie question :)

mike

capn_hylinur
08/17/2007, 08:26 AM
You need to understand the cycling process a little better:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bionitrogencycle/a/aa073199.htm

It would also help if you post particulars about your tank -size, filtration, lighting etc in your signature.

During the initial cycling phase 3-6weeks you should be taking daily measurements of ammonia, nitrites, and nititrates. You can get a test kit that tests all three and pH.

The reason you have the diatom bloom is that it is fueled by the breakdown of ammonia from the dead stuff on the live rock(this is called curring) At the same time bacteria are increasing in the tank that facilitate the conversion of ammonia to nitrites to eventully nitrates.
You do not need to change the water at this time.

I have alot of links to basic articles on the nitrogen cycle, filtration, rock curring etc on my web site
www.yags.net

schoch79
08/17/2007, 03:09 PM
Some people say to do a water change and some don't. I personally would so as to increase the chance of anything alive in/on the rock to survive.

bertoni
08/17/2007, 03:32 PM
I don't that explanation of the cycling process is very accurate. I'd do some water changes if I wanted to try to save some animals on the live rock. They are optional, though.

Siphoning out the brown slime might help a bit, if you have the time.

mikuarium
08/17/2007, 07:39 PM
Can you explain why do you say to do some water changes to save life on the live rock. I talked to my LFS and he said normally you would do a water change but since it is a new tank, no water change is necessary.

By the way, I tested my water parameters today
Ammonia .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
PH 8.2

Thanks for your input

mike

bertoni
08/17/2007, 08:43 PM
Ammonia is toxic to animals, so reducing the level in the tank seems like a useful idea to keep more organisms alive. Hard to say how much it helps, though.

mikuarium
08/17/2007, 10:38 PM
Since my ammonia is slowly going down, I think cycle is in the works and water change is not necessary yet. Once the cycle is complete, I think I will get a detritus devouring team to clean up my tank. Thanks for all your help.

-mike

schoch79
08/18/2007, 05:48 PM
Water changes are good even during the cycle. Water changes will never hurt anything. And yes, it would be a good thing to get the clean up crew when the cycle is done.